jsimmons
MVM
join:2000-04-24
Falls Church, VA

jsimmons to dlarkin_dc

MVM

to dlarkin_dc

Re: [VA] E-mail POP access down?

I use an alternate mail provider for most of my email, but check cox email for messages from Cox. I haven't been able to check that mailbox for several days now. Times out accessing the POP server. Sending mail thru the SMPT server is fine.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

Click for full size
said by jsimmons:

I use an alternate mail provider for most of my email, but check cox email for messages from Cox. I haven't been able to check that mailbox for several days now. Times out accessing the POP server. Sending mail thru the SMPT server is fine.

That's what the latest status states...

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to dlarkin_dc

Premium Member

to dlarkin_dc
I still have nothing, either, going on about 18 hours....

bb44
@cox.net

bb44 to SoonerAl

Anon

to SoonerAl
Ughh..... Since when do ISP's inject notices? I was not on any cox site and the attached came up in Chrome but not firefox.

johnburns
join:2004-10-14
Oklahoma City, OK

johnburns

For those who want to check periodically to see if Cox Email is back up - try this - at least you know it's not just your pc.

»www.websitedown.info/web ··· .cox.net

KG_VA
@cox.net

KG_VA to dlarkin_dc

Anon

to dlarkin_dc
This is cable company email. Google, AOL, Microsoft and Yahoo! all provide reliable, free internet email access. I understand that an email system failure is a big deal, but anything provided by a cable company is going to be the Yugo of tech services. Sorry.

What is really burning me up about this is Cox keeps placing a browser pop-up in Firefox telling me that their email is down. I get it Cox. You can't run an email service. Now you can't run HTTP ether without hijacking my session to tell me of your other failings. Would an adult at Cox please, at least, get rid of the browser notices!!

Going to Verizon on Monday at this rate...
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

do you have the cox tool bar installed on your browser, if so try removing it

KG_VA
@cox.net

KG_VA

Anon

Hi m8trix, thanks for the reply. I do not have the Cox toolbar installed. I actually have a clean copy of Google Chrome, ad-blocker, updated anti-virus/anti-malware, etc, ...

FWIW, I did call Cox tech support. You should call them for issues today (as long as it isn't email, which is known). I spoke to a second-line tech who spent about 15 minutes with his supervisors and came back with the following:

(1) Yes, it is an in-line browser notification from Cox.
(2) No, there is no way to turn them off or opt out right now.
(3) It has not been rolled out systemwide, only some customers (no idea who or where).
(4) It will be used to report major outages, viruses, etc...

So that's the word from Cox. My personal take is that this is a really bad move by Cox and one which will make me look elsewhere. First, having invasive, in-line notices like this is just an open invitation for hacking, Cox has basically done the delivery work, now all a hacker has to do is add a payload (trivial task). Second, what stops them from expanding this to advertising, monitoring, content shaping and other more nefarious practices? Third, this could very well violate the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, Stored Communications Act, various States' Wiretap Acts, etc, ... so I can see the potential for a lawsuit over this. Just my $0.02.

dlarkin_dc
join:2009-08-24
Alexandria, VA

dlarkin_dc

I get up the next day and still no e-mail coming in! I'm stunned that a comapny as large and established as Cox, and worse, an IT/ISP company, can hit customers with something of this magnitude. What about a little simple redundancy?

Oh well, tonight it's supposed to be... and still we wait.

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to dlarkin_dc

Premium Member

to dlarkin_dc
24 hours now. This is now at a point where its ridiculous.

dlarkin_dc
Alexandria, VA

dlarkin_dc

Yep. 24hrs and counting... I read a post saying Sunday!

One thing that bugs me is that we're given no information. Saying 6am and then needing double the time to resolve the problem looks very bad. It looks like they can't even estimate a fix to a system failure that should have never been an issue. It looks like gross incompotence.

All that that makes for grumbly customers. If we'd some information we could be more understanding. Unless that would make it look worse than a grossly incompotent scenario.

Oh well. I'm sure a few of us are getting closer to moving to FiOS over this.

At a minimum, I want (a) a good explaination about why the e-mail has been hinky for a week then down for over 24hrs, and (b) assurance that my e-mail has been secure.
Expand your moderator at work

HamptonRoads
@cox.net

HamptonRoads to dlarkin_dc

Anon

to dlarkin_dc

Re: [VA] E-mail POP access down?

Still no email in Hampton Roads! AAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

johnburns
join:2004-10-14
Oklahoma City, OK

johnburns to dlarkin_dc

to dlarkin_dc
You are so correct - I am concerned about security of my email account and would appreciate some sort of response to let me know if security has been compromised - and what needs to be done by the customer to overcome it. More information would help relieve the concern of Cox customers so much.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

the email server went down and needs to be replaced

dlarkin_dc
Alexandria, VA

1 edit

dlarkin_dc

ajwees41,

Thanks for posting the server issue. 26hrs to replace a server seems crazy to me. I couldn't let my customers be out of service for that long over such a fundamental.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

Maybe they are checking to see if the server was also the cause of the outage the other day.

dlarkin_dc
Alexandria, VA

dlarkin_dc

FWIW - From the support section of the Cox site...

Summary
Email Outage Update as of 8:30 pm, December 15th

Detail
As of 8:30 pm ET, the effort to restore residential customer email service continues. This work will continue through the night. We will provide additional updates early Sunday morning. We have no indication of any security breach that would put customer information at risk. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. All technical teams are fully engaged and committed to restoring service as quickly as we can.

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

planet

$50 off our next bill would seem appropriate.

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to dlarkin_dc

Premium Member

to dlarkin_dc
What I'm concerned about most is what is happening to e-mail that has been sent to me during this outage? Did it bounce? Did it go into oblivion? I don't use this address for business critical stuff but I would be upset to find out people have sent me stuff that never arrived.

fmgtech
@cox.net

fmgtech to planet

Anon

to planet
Cox will never give us a credit. They are not the type of company that would do the right thing.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to BillRoland

Premium Member

to BillRoland
said by BillRoland:

What I'm concerned about most is what is happening to e-mail that has been sent to me during this outage? Did it bounce? Did it go into oblivion? I don't use this address for business critical stuff but I would be upset to find out people have sent me stuff that never arrived.

. It's being said that incoming mail is fine and will be available when the server comes back online.
chuckkk
join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

chuckkk

It looks to me like cox decided to mess with the pop servers vs webmail servers. MS had the same sort of problem some years ago, and it was several days before things got sorted out.
betterdan
join:2002-03-20
Portsmouth, VA

betterdan

They just posted another update...

"Restoration continues and we are actively exploring multiple approaches to restore email services. All available resources are engaged across multiple teams.These teams will continue working around the clock until your email is restored. Based on our investigation, event logs, and other data available to us, we have no indication that this incident is the result of a security breach that would put customer information at risk. We will provide additional updates by 9 am ET. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you."

dlarkin_dc
Alexandria, VA

dlarkin_dc to BillRoland

to BillRoland
During the week up to this. I know of two e-mails that were sent that I never received. There may have been one other but I can't confirm it.

So I have 98% faith that all our mail is hunky dory.

TANMAN
@cox.net

TANMAN to ajwees41

Anon

to ajwees41
I have been down in CONNECTICUT SINCE FRIDAY
KennerLAN
join:2005-03-17
Kenner, LA

KennerLAN to betterdan

to betterdan
said by betterdan:

...We will provide additional updates by 9 am ET.

And here it is past 9 am ET and same message with no update. Anybody surprised?

dlarkin_dc
Alexandria, VA

dlarkin_dc

Cox Support update... no end in sight.

Summary
Email Outage Update as of 9:30 am, December 16th

Detail
Since our update at 1 a.m., our teams continue to make progress in restoring email service to our customers in the Midwest and East Coast regions. Teams across all levels of our organization are focused on the recovery and we truly apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. At this time we cannot provide an estimated time for recovery, but will continue to work around the clock until email service is restored.
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel to dlarkin_dc

Premium Member

to dlarkin_dc
Appears to be down in FL too.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to dlarkin_dc

Premium Member

to dlarkin_dc
I would have never known if it wasn't for this thread. Haven't ever used the Cox email. Never did in case I needed to switch providers.