Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru

Re: [Business] IPv6 Availability

We are working on a webpage for people to submit the data. But right now I am just saving the people that PM me their info. I need an email address, name, MAC Address of cable modem
Bill_F
join:2010-02-09
Huntsville, AL

Bill_F

Is there anything you can tell us about what to possibly expect next month when the testing begins?
Do you think we will need to have our SMCD3Gs replaced?
Its getting pretty close to January so I would think if the SMC was anything close to working yall would know about it by now.

I need to start looking to alternatives for my DDWRT router since I hear DD-WRT doesn't properly support certain IPV6 protocols yet...

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by Bill_F:

Is there anything you can tell us about what to possibly expect next month when the testing begins?
Do you think we will need to have our SMCD3Gs replaced?
Its getting pretty close to January so I would think if the SMC was anything close to working yall would know about it by now.

I need to start looking to alternatives for my DDWRT router since I hear DD-WRT doesn't properly support certain IPV6 protocols yet...

Your current SMC CCR wouldn't be replaced but we would upgrade the firmware to test software.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Do you have any idea of when those of us on Cisco uBR10k's will be able to dabble with IPv6?

Kind of sucks that those of us on the Cisco 10k's a) can't get IPv6 and b) have connections that don't work properly on the new 17/3 and 27/7 boot files (at least from what I can gather with the limited # of data points).

Why is the Cisco so broken compared to other CMTS equipment? Is it just harder to configure or are there technical limitations to it causing slowness in IPv6 enabling and proper "capped" powerboost boot file handling?
pflog

pflog to NetDog

MVM

to NetDog
Well, this is interesting. Stumbled upon this thread in the official Comcast forums:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Ho ··· 3#M41965

The Comcast employee says:

WA is a Cisco CMTS area, so no CPE v6 is not supported yet.
Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project

This implies the Cisco CMTS isn't capable of v6 (or they don't want to update iOS to support it?) and that they will be replacing the hardware perhaps?

Geez, if those of us in Cisco CMTS areas have to wait for a whole new CMTS to be deployed, we could be waiting for v6 and a working capped PB boot file for months/years.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

FWIW pflog See Profile, that employee (Comcast Tuska) over there and NetDog See Profile here are the same person.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by EG:

FWIW pflog See Profile, that employee (Comcast Tuska) over there and NetDog See Profile here are the same person.

ah was not aware, thanks

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

No worries !

steve1515
Premium Member
join:2000-08-07
Peabody, MA

steve1515 to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
I have an SMC 8014. What would I need to do to get native IPv6? I'm currently using a HE tunnel.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
said by pflog:

This implies the Cisco CMTS isn't capable of v6 (or they don't want to update iOS to support it?) and that they will be replacing the hardware perhaps?

It is a software issue, we are working on it.. This is from the comcast6.net website, "We are targeting completion of the rest of the network by mid-2013."
NetDog

NetDog to steve1515

Premium Member

to steve1515
said by steve1515:

I have an SMC 8014. What would I need to do to get native IPv6? I'm currently using a HE tunnel.

Your on a Cisco CMTS in Mass it is safe to say that .. So standby we are getting really close to getting this worked out.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to NetDog

MVM

to NetDog
said by NetDog:

said by pflog:

It is a software issue, we are working on it.. This is from the comcast6.net website, "We are targeting completion of the rest of the network by mid-2013."

<sorry, thread jacking a bit heh>

Thanks. Ok, so if the powerboost "erratic" speed issue is resolved at the same time, and I'm one of the last areas to hit the (targeted) date, I should receive 8 months of some sort of credit it sounds like. I'd rather have it working properly now, but I guess I'll take a fat credit instead.

<end of thread jacking>
Bill_F
join:2010-02-09
Huntsville, AL

Bill_F to NetDog

to NetDog
So is there any update on the SMCD3G IPV6?
Do you think the trial might start next month?

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by Bill_F:

So is there any update on the SMCD3G IPV6?
Do you think the trial might start next month?

I hate to say we are working on it, but we are. There is an outstanding IPv6 item that needs to be corrected on the SMC's first.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

What about the Cisco 10k? So once the IPv6 issue on the SMC is fixed, the people in non-Cisco areas will have IPv6, but those of us stuck on the Ciscos are SOL?

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by pflog:

What about the Cisco 10k? So once the IPv6 issue on the SMC is fixed, the people in non-Cisco areas will have IPv6, but those of us stuck on the Ciscos are SOL?

Cisco CMTS is still on hold but we are right around the corner.. So really close.. Once the SMC issue is fixed we will start up the trials on it. All of you that sent me your contact info I have it saved waiting for the start of the trial.
earletp
join:2004-02-03
PDX
ARRIS SB8200
Asus RT-AC68

earletp

said by NetDog:

said by pflog:

Cisco CMTS is still on hold but we are right around the corner.. So really close.. Once the SMC issue is fixed we will start up the trials on it. All of you that sent me your contact info I have it saved waiting for the start of the trial.

Does this mean you've suspended IPv6 testing in Portland, temporarily?

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

1 edit

NetDog

Premium Member

said by earletp:

said by NetDog:

said by pflog:

Does this mean you've suspended IPv6 testing in Portland, temporarily?

We currently have some testing going on right now, but we haven't really started anything yet on Cisco CMTS.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

PAtiently waiting and looking forward to the trials.