how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Black Box

join:2002-12-21
reply to FF4m3

Re: Linux Pulls The Plug On i386

Not so sure it's the best idea. There are still plenty of embedded 386 boards out there. Also, as Linux prides itself with the diversity of supported architectures I think that this is a blemish on the shiny armor

I've read the proposed patch and I didn't see anything earth shattering. Some complexity indeed, but everything is #ifdef'd out if the processor is not 386. I may loose the real scope as I did not trace the callers of teh affected functions.
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH

1 recommendation

said by Black Box:

Not so sure it's the best idea. There are still plenty of embedded 386 boards out there.

I wonder how many of those embedded boards are running a kernel even at the 2.4 level, let along something considered 'modern' like a 2.6 or 3.x.
--
We don't give a d@mn for the whole state of Michigan... we're from OHIO! O!H! ... I!O!

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by GILXA1226:

I wonder how many of those embedded boards are running a kernel even at the 2.4 level, let along something considered 'modern' like a 2.6 or 3.x.

what, and ruin their decade long uptime? NEVER!
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Black Box
said by Black Box:

Not so sure it's the best idea. There are still plenty of embedded 386 boards out there.

It is all about forward progress is how I see things like this and the phasing out of 2g signals by the cell carriers.

That said linux is open source so the new kernels might still get 386 patching done by other people. It is just no longer part of official channels.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Black Box
said by Black Box:

There are still plenty of embedded 386 boards out there.

Perhaps, but why would they want to trade a working kernel for the latest and greatest?

Rule 1: ~broke => ~fix

Rule 2: you don't want to be running very new software on very old hardware (because you'll be dissatisfied with speed/memory use/everything)

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
said by dave:

said by Black Box:

There are still plenty of embedded 386 boards out there.

Perhaps, but why would they want to trade a working kernel for the latest and greatest?

Rule 1: ~broke => ~fix

Rule 2: you don't want to be running very new software on very old hardware (because you'll be dissatisfied with speed/memory use/everything)

exactly
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

shdesigns