uniqs

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

2 edits

Transmaster

[WIN8] Windows 8 latest update changed my Security settings

I had a strange problem. I had a critical up date that was loaded Tuesday after which I started to have problems accessing websites. The diagnostics indicated it was a DNS error. I did the usual things to track it down and finally got around to unplugging and restarting My D-Link DIR-655 router. When it restarted I had a security warning telling me my security settings where preventing certain functions of the 655 from working. I gave the permission to stop whatever it was doing to the 655 and now everything is working again. A heads up for anyone that might run into this.
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

Not sure what you mean by "Gave Permission to Stop whatever it was doing". Gave permission to what. No windows update should be able to access your router and make changes. In fact nothing in Windows or any other OS should be able to do that.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster

Where did I say it made any changes in the router, the changes where in the security settings of W8. The DNS errors started after critical updates were loaded on Tuesday. diagnostics reported a DNS problem. When I cycled the 655 a security flag popped up reported some of the functions of the 655 where being blocked it did say what those where. Clearing the security flag cleared the problem. I have not looked at the logs to see just what the problem was.
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

Oh I don't know. You first started the thread with something about a Windows update then continued with something changed on your router and you had to reboot it and then got a warning about some security setting on the router and that you gave permission to stop that.

Win update has nothing to do with your router and or any of the settings on it. And why you had to reboot the router and change something on it after a Windows update are not related.