spc
uniqs
Mike_C
join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

Mike_C to StuartMW

to StuartMW

Re: TSA detains sick girl...

Last time I accompanied a friend who uses a wheelchair through an American Airport and the TSA checkpoint, we had a very informative TSA person (Las Vegas TSA are great I find). He mentioned that some hand lotions can contain a certain chemical that can trigger a false positive reading when they do their tests. The TSA agent we dealt with tested my friend's wheelchair first and then my friend's hands. Normally if they get a positive result on a test, they should be testing the rest of the chair and user just to make sure it's not a false positive.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by Mike_C:

Last time I accompanied a friend who uses a wheelchair through an American Airport and the TSA checkpoint, we had a very informative TSA person (Las Vegas TSA are great I find). He mentioned that some hand lotions can contain a certain chemical that can trigger a false positive reading when they do their tests. The TSA agent we dealt with tested my friend's wheelchair first and then my friend's hands. Normally if they get a positive result on a test, they should be testing the rest of the chair and user just to make sure it's not a false positive.

The logical thing then would be for TSA to place a notice on their website warning about use of these particular hand lotions when flying. But I guess that would anger the manufacturers?

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK

1 recommendation

jimkyle

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

said by Mike_C:

The logical thing then would be for TSA to place a notice on their website warning about use of these particular hand lotions when flying. But I guess that would anger the manufacturers?

And the next logical thing would be for "anonymous" to organize a whole plane-load of passengers to use that lotion, and tie up the airport for several hours as everyone failed the test...

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to Mike_C

MVM

to Mike_C
said by Mike_C:

One of the reasons I won't fly if possible. And God only knows what has rubbed off other's hands onto those of the wheel chairs...things that are not false positives!