dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Meatball
join:2006-03-26

Meatball

Re: SB6141 Firmware Update?

Yeah, unfortunately, that's not going to happen. TWC only offers these awful Ubee modems for DOCSIS 3, and on top of that they've started charging a modem rental fee.

You can buy your own modem, but you're limited to the SB6121 and the 6141, and they've told me they'll never update a customer owned modem, so I'm going to be stuck.
Meatball

Meatball

Man, I'm loving life here. Been having random disconnect issues, probably about 2-3 times a day with the following errors.

Jan 01 1970 00:00:14 6-Notice Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout ;CM-MAC=96:dc:b9:45:7b:32;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Dec 23 2012 22:04:20 3-Critical R04.0 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=96:dc:b9:45:7b:32;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:c6:dc:60;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Dec 23 2012 22:03:50 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=96:dc:b9:45:7b:32;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:c6:dc:60;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Jan 01 1970 00:00:10 5-Warning Z00.0 MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=96:dc:b9:45:7b:32;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:c6:dc:60;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

According to Time Waren, a firmware update from Motorola should solve the issue, but they won't do it, because I own the modem. But of course, Motorola doesn't offer firmware updates to the public.

Jeez louise...
Meatball

Meatball

Alright, I have a bit more information, none of it great though. I'm still seeing random modem reboots/disconnects anywhere from 10-20 times a day. Sometimes it'll go a few hours without happening, other times it'll have 4 times in an hour.

I talked to two different people in Time Warner yesterday, and they are claiming the signal is fine, and it's probably the modem. They told me that as long as downstream power levels are within -15 to +15 dBmV and upstream is between +30 and +53 dBmV the signal is fine. They put my modem on some sort of 'watch list' to track it, but told me to contact Motorola.

So, I talked to Motorola, and this guy really sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He's saying it's the signal. The modem needs a signal more along the lines of -5 to +5 dBmV downstream, with closer to 0 being better, and 'high 30's to low 40's' dBmV upstream, with 40 being better. I'm seeing downstream power levels of +6 to +8 and upstream of +35, so he's saying the modem is rebooting because these levels are out of whack. I asked if there was any way I could get a newer firmware, but no dice, they'll only give that out to ISP's.

So, I had a TWC tech come out today to do a full check of the line and try to get things closer to the range Motorola wants. He said that the Ubee modems aren't as sensitive and they work fine with the -15 to +15 and +30 to +53 power levels. But he also made two comments that caught my interest.

First, apparently everyone is having issues with the Motorola's on TWC, and he says he's getting a call every day or two for the same issue with them rebooting. After about a month of use, he says everyone starts getting that, and they're not sure why, but they really can't do anything about it.

Second, he made an offhand comment that he wonders if TWC is actually doing it on purpose so everyone goes back to the leased modems. Lovely, eh?

Regardless, he checked the line and was able to get things down to 0 to +1 dBmV downstream and +43 dBmV upstream. He left about 2 hours ago and I've already seen one disconnect/reboot. Not really sure where to go from here, but it's BS.

beninhell
@63.96.13.x

beninhell

Anon

Any luck getting this issue resolved? I'm having the same issue... Thanks, Ben