share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Internet wins-ITU conference implodes

"Having turned industries and governments upside down, the Internet has claimed its first organizational scalp, subjecting the United Nations' International Telecommunication Union (ITU) to a humiliating failure at the World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT) in Dubai earlier today."

The list of nations that sided with the USA and stated they could not sign the treaty is interesting: UK, Sweden, Egypt, Canada, Poland, the Netherlands, Denmark, Kenya, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Qatar, and the Czech Republic.

Russia played an explosive and scary role with a "contribution that effectively undermined the existing global structures that make the Internet work".

»news.dot-nxt.com/2012/12/14/inte···lecoms-a
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV

1 recommendation

Just because the US didn't sign it doesn't mean we're not abusing privacy.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by DataDoc:

Just because the US didn't sign it doesn't mean we're not abusing privacy.

That's because we Americans are rugged individualists with an entrepreneurial spirit. We'd rather find our own ways to abuse privacy... then rent those methods to selected parties throughout the rest of the world.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Mele20

Here's a quote I came across a long time ago that puts this into perspective

Destruction and blind faith and Bureaucracy don't equal progress.

Nuff seid.

Regards

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

What? What does your statement have to do with the subject?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

"... , the Internet has claimed its first organizational scalp, ..."

Without contradicting anything else that was said, this is definitely not the first score for the Internet against an organization (International or otherwise). In fact, specifically with regards to the ITU the score is at least 2:0 in favor of the Internet for those of us old enough to remember the TCP/IP versus OSI (ITU-T X.200) debates.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

said by leibold:

for those of us old enough to remember the TCP/IP versus OSI (ITU-T X.200) debates.

Maybe not, but old enough to know what a pain it is between deploying OSPF and IS-IS.

Regards