People Suck.

join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE

1 edit
reply to ironweasel

Re: 89 Bronco II - Wont go into gear. Leaking Fluid Reservoir

said by ironweasel:

said by LeftOfSanity:

The truck will start with pedal pushed in, but putting truck into gear and letting clutch out, the engine just rev's, doesn't move.

This bit confuses me a little.

Starting with the pedal pushed in: OK, that's normal...the safety switch is working.

Truck in gear, let clutch out, doesn't move: How is it being put in gear if the clutch isn't working? Is the truck being started with the transmission in gear already or what?

I start the truck in Nuetral. I push the clutch pedal in, put it into first gear, let the pedal out, nothing happens. Where normally it would buck.

I can put it into any gear, let the pedal out, nothing happens. If I give it gas, engine just revs.

I can put it into any gear while the truck is running without using the pedal at all. What does this tell us?
--
"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it" - Mitch Hedberg

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM
kudos:1

1 edit
That tells us that either the clutch is disengaged all the time or something on the transmission is catastrophically broken.

It's a hydraulic clutch system so if the clutch is disengaged then there might be something stuck and causing hydraulic pressure on either the master or slave cylinder. You said in an earlier post that the pedal goes down to the floor with no resistance so I'm leaning towards one of the cylinders being the culprit.

First off, look around the transmission and see if there is any type of inspection hole on or near the bellhousing. On our Explorer which uses the M5OD-R1, which was also available on the B2, there's a decent size hole where you can see a portion of the slave cylinder and you can see it actuate. So check to see if that's possible on that transmission and see if you're able to see it move or just see it in general.

Also, you should be able to disconnect the hydraulic line at the slave cylinder, so I would suggest doing that and then using a small screwdriver or other object to depress the valve in the end of the line and then have someone depress the clutch pedal and see if any fluid comes out. If you don't get anything more than a dribble of fluid out then you're likely going to need a new master cylinder. If, however, you get a bunch of fluid then it's time to drop the transmission and take a look at the slave cylinder and all the other associated clutch components like the clutch disc itself, the pressure plate, flywheel, input shaft on the transmission and just give everything the "once over".

Pay attention to the "fingers" on the pressure plate and make sure none of them are broken or excessively worn and also make sure that there is still a sufficient amount of material left on the clutch disc.

small>--
I'll be stretching out the rhyme like gravity stretches time.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to LeftOfSanity
After you start the vehicle, can you put it in gear without pushing the clutch pedal? If you can, this would indicate to me either the clutch is just shot (unlikely as you normally get some type of engagement), something is broke in the tranny, or the clutch is stuck for some reason (could be mechanical or even something in the hydraulic line not letting the pressure release).

When you push in on the clutch, do you feel resistance or does it go in with no back pressure. I have a feeling it is time to pull the tranny to see what is going on. If I remember correctly, you have to pull the tranny regardless in order to get to the slave cylinder.