Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross

Re: [STB] Getting AnyRoom DVR

said by andyross:

What are the frequency ratings on the splitters? They should be at least 1000MHz/1GHz. I'm not certain what MoCA frequencies Comcast tends to use, but that can go that high, or even higher.

They are 5-1000 mHz range and they are not that old. If I replace the wire going to the living room, should I use RG6 or RG6 quad shield. The drop line is direct burial RG6.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

QS is mainly to keep noise out. It's thicker and cannot bend as much, and needs different connectors.

If you are willing to spend a bit of money, you can look into Belden 7915A. It's RG6, but has the same shielding as RG6QS. The difficulty may be finding it in anything smaller than a 500ft box.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
While MoCA is specified to operate at frequencies up to 1.5 GHz (»Re: [DVR] Use of MOCA ethernet bridge(s) affect AnyRoom DVR ? ), most cable system boxes seem to use a frequency near 1 GHz (»Re: Moca questions ), so that a good quality splitter rated up to 1 GHz should probably work OK.

See this previous thread: »MoCA network setup

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
I just bought some RG6 wire @ 17 cents a foot x 30 feet, a package of 10 Snap N Seal fittings at 6.97 a package, and a new wall plate at $3.49 all at Home Depot. I used to swear by buying this stuff at Radio Shack (former neighbor worked at Radio Shack back in the late '80s and early '90s) but the techs say their products are inferior. It seams that Lowe's Depot sells the stuff that the techs use (I know Mediacom when I lived in Iowa used the Snap N Seal fittings back when they had the seperate plastic piece). The wall plates, splitters, and fittings at Lowe's Depot seems to be better quality. I am planning on installing this before Comcast comes next Thursday.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Click for full size
Tidied up the wiring
Click for full size
Wire going into the wall
Click for full size
Brand new wall plate
Spent a good part of the morning replacing the wire to the living room TV (which has wire that is 24 years old) and it came out pretty good. I also cleaned up that rat's nest of wires on my basement ceiling and tidied things up with the splitters. I had to replace the low voltage bracket that holds the wall plate to the wall because the screws were stripped and the bracket was broken. Otherwise the project went smoothly (no messed up fittings). I also found that the jumper from the wall plate to the TiVo (which is going to go into storage when I get the whole house DVR installed) had a "sucked out" fitting.

Hopefully this will ensure that my signals and wiring is good enough for the MoCA signals from the whole house setup. The dual cable is about 10 years old and dates back to when Springfield had the old dual (A/B) cable system that was rebuilt later that year (2002-2003). The twin lead cable is handy though because one feeds the modem and the other feeds the TV in the same room.

I also installed a new wall plate as the old one was a dual wall plate that dated back to the old A/B cable system days.