join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer

Re: Discussion about log retention

said by dillyhammer:

7 days. Tops.

(Though my inner-anarchist is screaming 0 days)

And for what it's worth, which 1 (or more) of the 2300+ people being sued by Voltage is going to make TSI a party to the action and/or bring suit for violating their privacy by keeping logs and releasing their info. Because that surely is going to happen.

Mike

TSI is allready covered for this eventuality in the Terms of Service and the User Agreement Policy. And they won't violate that without a court order.

Once a court order is successfully obtained then its out of TSI's hands. Obligations are covered from a legal standpoint. After that its just a matter of how long TSI has to turn over the subscriber information, and at what cost if any that TSI might enact to do so, I don't expect them to do it for free.

I am however, optimistic that the Judge that oversee's this motion denies voltage their court order.

What happens after Monday is anyone's guess.

Sooner or later I'm sure there will be more spectulative invoicing attempts. I just wish Canada would enact legislation outlawing this detestable practice all together, and put an end to it entirely.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by TwiztedZero:

TSI is allready covered for this eventuality in the Terms of Service and the User Agreement Policy. And they won't violate that without a court order.

Once a court order is successfully obtained then its out of TSI's hands. Obligations are covered from a legal standpoint.

Obligations are covered when a court rules that obligations are covered, and not one second before.

I did not say that the eventuality is that TSI is held liable for releasing the information, only that they are made a party to an action for keeping the logs to begin with and then releasing the information based on a court order obtained with erroneous, borderline fraudulent evidence.

This is a big pile of shit waiting to hit the fan. I can't imagine how TSI is going to walk away from this without a few turds being launched in their direction - some of which may reach the target and stick.

For example, how long before word gets out - probably already has - that TSI aided Voltage with personal information on its clients. You think people are going to give a shit how or why TSI released that info? Nope. I'm betting many hundreds are already looking for new providers, and hundreds more looking for elegant ways out of this mess.

I'm just saying... if this were me, and my company, I'd quietly hit the delete key on those fucking logs in 3 seconds flat, respond with "sorry don't have anything" and see everyone in court.

But that's just me.

Mike
qewey
join:2007-10-04

qewey

said by dillyhammer:

I'm just saying... if this were me, and my company, I'd quietly hit the delete key on those fucking logs in 3 seconds flat, respond with "sorry don't have anything" and see everyone in court.

Which TSI could perfectly decide to do going forward since there is no legal minimum data retention period in Canada (or the US). Until that changes through further legislation, TSI could keep minimal logs or none at all and tell the extortionists to go &%*$ themselves.

law enforcement on the other have other better tools (like wiretapping) so its not like TSI would be harboring criminals by keeping no logs.

It would just be TSI taking the stance saying that "our customers fundamental privacy rights are more important to us than the rights of these copyright trolls to extort people. If you are law enforcement and have legitimate investigative purposes to look at our customers data/ip then go get a warrant to wiretap but from here on, we are not going to risk our customers rights and put them at risk of extorsion just to be convenient and have logs"

That would be the stance that loyal TSI customers would expect.