diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to C0RR0SIVE88

to C0RR0SIVE88

Re: Gen4/Changes Coming After Jan 1

said by C0RR0SIVE88 :

Diablo, the connection issue with too many TCP connections being held at one time is being worked on, I reported the issue a long time ago and have been working with them to get it resolved, but it's not very simple to actually fix it...

I also agree that WB got them with their pants down. Hughes rushed it from launch to beta to release I feel. They should have waited till some of the more serious kinks got ironed out prior to selling to customers.

But I am pretty sure most of the speed issues are ground based, as in, they don't have large enough pipes to the gateways, or the servers handling the proxy service are overloaded. Which, after disabling the web acceleration, I still get crappy speeds at times, so that points more towards other equipment, or the pipe.

What do you gotta do, besides sit on your butt and answer to complaining customers and making a couple adjustments?? To me provider company repairs and such is simple as 1-2-3 and done.. I'v worked with somethings before like mechanical stuff, working with electrical, building houses with my one uncle.. I even work with my one uncle with cars, and if your saying repairs for provider company such as HN, the Gen4 is much bigger problem or just as bad, well imo i see the stuff I do is much bigger and requires more time. Fixing Gen4 problems at the base is just a very VERY simple fix and requires only a day or so, i mean what do you gotta do? where to get supplies from (if needed to replace or repair something if broken)? Is codes and and all that junk needed or what? Can the job be as frustrating as being a mechanic? Do they work nights and through the next day (repeat) throughout the weeks? Do they do repairs 24/7 like a mechanic or do they go home and sleep?
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by diablo18926:

said by C0RR0SIVE88 :

Diablo, the connection issue with too many TCP connections being held at one time is being worked on, I reported the issue a long time ago and have been working with them to get it resolved, but it's not very simple to actually fix it...

I also agree that WB got them with their pants down. Hughes rushed it from launch to beta to release I feel. They should have waited till some of the more serious kinks got ironed out prior to selling to customers.

But I am pretty sure most of the speed issues are ground based, as in, they don't have large enough pipes to the gateways, or the servers handling the proxy service are overloaded. Which, after disabling the web acceleration, I still get crappy speeds at times, so that points more towards other equipment, or the pipe.

What do you gotta do, besides sit on your butt and answer to complaining customers and making a couple adjustments?? To me provider company repairs and such is simple as 1-2-3 and done.. I'v worked with somethings before like mechanical stuff, working with electrical, building houses with my one uncle.. I even work with my one uncle with cars, and if your saying repairs for provider company such as HN, the Gen4 is much bigger problem or just as bad, well imo i see the stuff I do is much bigger and requires more time. Fixing Gen4 problems at the base is just a very VERY simple fix and requires only a day or so, i mean what do you gotta do? where to get supplies from (if needed to replace or repair something if broken)? Is codes and and all that junk needed or what? Can the job be as frustrating as being a mechanic? Do they work nights and through the next day (repeat) throughout the weeks? Do they do repairs 24/7 like a mechanic or do they go home and sleep?

Apparently you have never worked as a system administrator or network engineer. Constantly getting crapped on by upper management. Understaffed and underfunded. Penny pinching firms, presumably like HughesNet, don't worry about potential problems until they occur. They don't give their network admins the resources they need to do their work until they have no other choice. Then all the heat goes on the admins and engineers because things are not operating as they should and they don't have the man power to get things done at that instant. There is rarely ever anything simple about problems like this. If there is truly insufficient capacity, sitting on your butt will not resolve the problem.

Often times Network Admins have to be available, whenever. Nights, weekends, holidays. If makes no difference.

I've done all the physical work you mentioned and more. Trust me, just because the work Hughes employees are doing is less physical doesn't make it any easier.

C0RR0SIVE88
@direcway.com

C0RR0SIVE88

Anon

I have a feeling you have never wrote any piece of software, or designed and built entire WANS Diablo. I agree with silbaco. Just because they can sit in a chair doesn't mean it's any less difficult than working on a car. I just rebuilt the tranny, engine, and entire front end of a truck in the last two weeks, with only four actual days to work on it. I find that much more easy to accomplish than rebuilding patches after patches trying to balance issues and fix them.

Sure, the module you create for the modem might work beautifully, but, does your module break another team members module for some reason? Why? Can something be done on your module to fix that, or is it a problem with the other team members module?

Once that seems to work, off to testing it goes, but, can the testers break it? If they can, how, why, what went wrong? The engineer goes right back to square one with very little to go on other than try again with what data he has on the problem.

Sorry, but building houses, and fixing a car is very different from engineering a sophisticated WAN, maintaining it, and fixing the software that handles it.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by C0RR0SIVE88 :

I have a feeling you have never wrote any piece of software, or designed and built entire WANS Diablo. I agree with silbaco. Just because they can sit in a chair doesn't mean it's any less difficult than working on a car. I just rebuilt the tranny, engine, and entire front end of a truck in the last two weeks, with only four actual days to work on it. I find that much more easy to accomplish than rebuilding patches after patches trying to balance issues and fix them.

Sure, the module you create for the modem might work beautifully, but, does your module break another team members module for some reason? Why? Can something be done on your module to fix that, or is it a problem with the other team members module?

Once that seems to work, off to testing it goes, but, can the testers break it? If they can, how, why, what went wrong? The engineer goes right back to square one with very little to go on other than try again with what data he has on the problem.

Sorry, but building houses, and fixing a car is very different from engineering a sophisticated WAN, maintaining it, and fixing the software that handles it.

I thought we were talking about networking alone? or am i missing something? But yes i understand the procedure of creating programs, but not everything.. You gotta learn C++ and you gotta put different files into different formats blah blah blah and then you test the program (goes the same way with pc games- but differently) the testing could take sometime, depending on where, when, how and what happened.. As a gamer, I know where the game starts to breaking down and then gets to the point where it is completely unplayable, this is the point where your blowing up the game dry (same with software)

I believe I have seen programs break down, its either due to compatibility issues with your computer or issues with your connection, yes if its a program that needs connection but too much lag or not good enough then the program will only keep crashing (this i have seen many times)

I know where you went with what you said but i still very well believe network engineering is an easy job.. My brother works with networking, hes trying to work under Cisco, has a whole bunch of computer books, has his own gaming rig just like mine. He use to run the heck outta Ubuntu when he ran the old slow pc, those were the days, he ran a program called cactus (it monitors everyones bandwidth usage, pc HD usage, CPU and RAM usage- everything) hes one heck of a tech person thats for sure.. Sadly no one will hire simply because you need a colege degree witch costs over thousands of dollars.

I was in school a couple years ago and i traveled to another school and it was a tech school, i had to do some work in that classroom and the classroom was a tech/computer learning for students just like i was.. Guess what they were doing when i was in there? They weren't taking computers apart or learning anything about networking like when my brother was in there at his time.. They were all playing call of duty modern warfare 2, this made me feel as if i went to a pre school wanna bee technical institute.. As for our subject here, well maybe its why i feel the way i feel right now about it, its a very easy going job, nothing too complicated, takes no longer than a day or two.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

It is unfortunate you saw a poor excuse of a school, but that is not how the real world works. Those students will find a rude awakening when they enter the work force.

Off topic... Is your brother working toward his CCNA? If he isn't, he should.