how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

few

@cox.net
reply to kxrm

Re: Email Notice Popups in Browser

I have talked to a tier 2 representative and he indicated that they reserve the right to inject content in order to notify customers of service outages, but that they would not use the in browser notification system on an individual subscriber scale or in order to push advertisements. We'll just have to see if they keep to their word. (And keep them to it)

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to toy4x4

No biggie... easy to block at the router. I will just add it to my blacklist on the router. Already have the router auto-downloading 5 or 6 malware and ads lists every night. Great to see all the ads blocked on ALL devices in the home.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by digiblur:

No biggie... easy to block at the router. I will just add it to my blacklist on the router. Already have the router auto-downloading 5 or 6 malware and ads lists every night. Great to see all the ads blocked on ALL devices in the home.

What router are you using if I may ask?

KahunaNui

join:2000-05-01
Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to rj123456789

said by rj123456789 :

* those who've installed any ISP programs on their machines needn't be concerned by this, since they've already given the ISP the potential to access to everything on their machines.

"...ISP programs" ?? Could you provide example(s) of them?
Not sure what you refer to here.

Thanks

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

1 recommendation

reply to BillRoland

said by BillRoland:

said by digiblur:

What router are you using if I may ask?

Asus RT-N66u w/ shibby's tomato firmware. Mean machine...3 VLANs, OpenVPN, 2 SSID's, and much more and still plenty of horsepower left in her.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to toy4x4

Just for the record, I was also perturbed by injection of script onto my machine. While I appreciate the added effort in notification of a outage, I feel this is slippery slope. Having a pop up on all Cox domains would have served the same purpose to a sufficient degree. And if nothing else, they should have a included a "Don't show this again" option, or better yet, a entire opt-out option. They have a opt-out for DNS redirects, and I personally see this as more intrusive.

I believe we all need to respectably voice our concerns on this issue so this trend does not continue. Imagine bill reminders, advertisements, or other purposes this method could be used for.

PS. Thumbs up for RT-N66u. I have been running it stock (minus initial update to work out the known bug) and couldn't be happier. Solid as a rock.