R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2 to kickass69

MVM

to kickass69

Re: [WIN8] Biggest gripe about Win 8...

Agreed. I think they likely have the correct idea - the future IS touch screens for all. And Win 8 certainly seems to be a big step in that direction. However, they seem to have forgotten that not all of us have touch screens yet!! A simple mechanism to "turn off" the touch screen design and revert to a Win 7 style would have been appreciated.

Oh, I found this program to bring back the Start Menu. I have not yet installed it, but I will and I'll post back...
»www.stardock.com/product ··· /start8/

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

I'm more productive with an actual keyboard and mouse than I ever will be with a touchscreen with a silly on screen keyboard. It's also more ergonomic to use a mouse than using a touchscreen to do work or personal things all day long. Using a stylus wouldn't be as bad even.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to R2

Premium Member

to R2
That program has been praised here several times. I may try it but what I want is XP style not Windows 7 Start which I don't like any better than Windows 8.

I noticed at Startdock's site on the screenshot for Power Options that they did not include "shut down"! Obviously, they don't think anyone has desktops! I would not want to pay even a small fee for something designed for laptops when I have a NEW desktop. My options are Restart, Shutdown. I would use hibernate only through UPS software for when the electrical power actually goes off. Otherwise, my computers are always on ....NEVER EVER sleep or hibernate.

Tel
join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC

Tel

said by Mele20:

That program has been praised here several times. I may try it but what I want is XP style not Windows 7 Start which I don't like any better than Windows 8.

I noticed at Startdock's site on the screenshot for Power Options that they did not include "shut down"! Obviously, they don't think anyone has desktops! I would not want to pay even a small fee for something designed for laptops when I have a NEW desktop. My options are Restart, Shutdown. I would use hibernate only through UPS software for when the electrical power actually goes off. Otherwise, my computers are always on ....NEVER EVER sleep or hibernate.

I'm not sure what shutdown you're talking about but Start8 has the same shutdown option as previous versions of the Start menu. You can choose any option you like.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I looked at this example:
»www.stardock.com/product ··· n8/8.png

But I made the mistake of looking at the ADDITIONAL options instead of the main button.The main button would be "shutdown". Sorry.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

I'm more productive with an actual keyboard and mouse than I ever will be with a touchscreen with a silly on screen keyboard. It's also more ergonomic to use a mouse than using a touchscreen to do work or personal things all day long. Using a stylus wouldn't be as bad even.

You'd be an ideal candidate for Windows 8 with a touch screen, keyboard, and mouse. You'd use your keyboard and mouse for most things, and the touch interface when that made sense.

That's actually the surface use model - you can use it pure touch, but you can use it with the keyboard/trackpad or even keyboard/mouse if that works better for you. You should check out the Surface Pro models when they land early next year.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Once Microsoft announced the pricing for the Surface Pro models, my interest plummeted. Way too much money for what they want. I don't want an all-in-one solution where I'm using such a small screen regardless of resolution. Besides I can already use Office on the go with my laptop as it is. I like my two 32 inch 2 screen setup for my work and personal environments. When I don't have that available I'd prefer using a laptop with a 17.3 inch screen with the ability to HDMI out to an external monitor much more.

Out of all of that using touchscreen for anything more than personal entertainment doesn't appeal at all to me.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean

MVM

said by kickass69:

Once Microsoft announced the pricing for the Surface Pro models, my interest plummeted. Way too much money for what they want. I don't want an all-in-one solution where I'm using such a small screen regardless of resolution. Besides I can already use Office on the go with my laptop as it is. I like my two 32 inch 2 screen setup for my work and personal environments. When I don't have that available I'd prefer using a laptop with a 17.3 inch screen with the ability to HDMI out to an external monitor much more.

Out of all of that using touchscreen for anything more than personal entertainment doesn't appeal at all to me.

The Microsoft Surface Pro is nothing new. The Windows 8 x86-x64 PC tablets of today have predecessors in what was the established Windows 7 x86-x64 PC tablet market of yesterday. Since the forerunner pricing was well known it was easy to predict the price range for newer Windows 8 tablets using similar but updated hardware.

The Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 PC tablet and Samsung Series 7 tablets were good models for hardware / price prediction. Both product lines were about ~$1000 and up when they were new.

If anything is surprising about Windows 8 PC tablet pricing of this class of hardware its that the price is slightly lower.