how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AnnaS8

join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

$700 Gaming laptop recommendation

A friend of mine is looking for a gaming laptop for his son but only wants to pay $700 for it. I don't know any gaming laptops that cheap. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to where I should look? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Package systems tend to be expensive as they make you buy a huge hdd with that performance to pad their pricing, but for around that price it's possible. As much as I don't care for Dell, here's one that works without making you pay for a 2TB drive. 4GB will be enough, and can be easily upgraded cheaply.

For this kind of price you won't usually get the large screen, or 1080 screen with the other components.

Just an example

--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

AnnaS8

Annapolis, MD

I didn't know their business laptops were good for gaming lol

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

All I did was go to the dell site, pick laptops/etc, filter by 3rd gen i3/i5, and only gaming gpus. I won't say it's the best gpu, and that they need win 7 professional, however it would fall around the price range they wanted.

AnnaS8

Annapolis, MD

Yeah I told him that that budget better for a gaming desktop. lol

join:2012-11-19

1 edit
reply to AnnaS8

You can see here, this site listed few gaming laptop around your budget range

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to AnnaS8

It is unlikely you'll ever get desktop performance (or anything close to it) in the near future on a laptop. I purchased an I7 3770K to run a server, and tried World of Warcraft on the integrated GPU. The GPU when running games creates more heat, and consumes far more power than the CPU.

A decent GPU does an awful lot, and on all desktops I've ever owned has been the primary user of power. I tried to get a laptop that could game a couple of years ago, and at an affordable price, it wasn't possible to find one.

You may find a laptop that is somewhat suited for gaming, but the GPU will be the determining factor imo. Find the best GPU you can on a laptop, and good luck.

I took a very high end GPU and installed it on a very poorly reviewed AMD 6 core bulldozer system. With a very good GPU, the system outperformed my I7 based systems in game graphics. It is my opinion (and there will certainly be exceptions) that for gaming, the GPU is more defining of ultimate performance than CPU. You need enough CPU, but it's almost impossible to get too much GPU.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2
reply to AnnaS8

AnnaS8

The following site sells a Sager NP3265 for $726.53, if you're willing to pay cash (discount for cash). The laptop has a GeForce GT-635M graphics card and an Intel i5 processor:

»www.xoticpc.com/sager-np3265-cle···339.html

Click on the "Click to Customize" button to see all the stuff it comes with as well as additional customizations available for extra price.

I purchased a Sager laptop from this site and had good experience.

Freddy

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 edit
reply to AnnaS8

To get a decent gaming laptop (discrete GT 650M/GTX 660M or better), you are looking at minimum $1000, perhaps $900 refurbished.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1
reply to AnnaS8

You cant get a "quality" gaming laptop for $700. That is peanuts. 1k and above you can.