uniqs
share rss forum feed

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Snowy

Re: Google gibberish?

I don't think that the correct password was used as much as this appears an automated response to a threshold of login attempts. This password is unique to this account. The account is one of about 30 of mine and has no retention of any emails.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by peterboro:

I don't think that the correct password was used as much as this appears an automated response to a threshold of login attempts.

That's entirely possible. I got such a message from amazon, a few years ago. It was actually a message reminding me of the procedure to recover from lost password, but I figure that it must have been prompted by break-in attempts.

I changed the email address I was using for amazon, to one less likely to be guessed (an address with a randomish string in it). Since that change, I have not had any problems.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 17.0

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

I don't think that the correct password was used as much as this appears an automated response to a threshold of login attempts.

That's entirely possible.

said by peterboro:

The account is one of about 30 of mine and has no retention of any emails.

The 30 accounts makes sense to my understanding of how Gmail is classifying mail accounts based on how likely or unlikely a specific mail account is in danger of hack attempts.
This is all guesswork but accounts that have logins to other accounts from the same browser have the highest level of scrutiny while accounts that show only a single mail account being accessed by the same browser getting a least likely to be hacked rating.
I'm not sure that this is about protecting email accounts as it is about flagging email accounts that have a higher probability of being involved with items that Gmail's TOS forbid.
Again, this is just a guess, far from anything I'd state as fact but it is noteworthy that you deal with multiple accounts, thanks for mentioning that.