spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

godsmacked92

join:2012-11-06

[memory] Installed Memory (RAM)

When I purchased my laptop it originally have 2GB of RAM. The store gave a free 1GB RAM. A few months ago I had to reformat my laptop because it was running slow and hangs up. I just found out lately on my system info, it indicates "RAM: 3.00GB(2GB usable)".
Does that mean that the 1GB is not being used? If yes, can I make use of it? Will it make my laptop run faster? My laptop runs slow if I watch a movie using VLC and at the same time on the net using Firefox. Pic on top for your reference.

Thanks in advance!

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
There's not a lot you can do, other than install a different version of the O/S.

»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library···indows_7
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to godsmacked92
Pull the hard drive out, install a Solid State Drive with a 64bit OS.

Boom, instant performance increase.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to godsmacked92
Yea, you need to upgrade that window if you can. Also, integrated graphics use system memory.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to godsmacked92
The extra 1GB is in fact being used -- by system resources (not necessarily Windows) and by limited addressing space when using a 32-bit OS (like you are). It can be taken up by any/all of the following things:

* System BIOS and option ROMs -- usually 1MBytes, 2MBytes, or 4MBytes (depends on features)
* APIC -- 4KB
* Chipset -- usually 2MB
* I/O APIC -- 4KB
* PCI enumeration area (1 of 2) -- 256MB
* PCI Express -- often 256MB
* PCI enumeration area (2 of 2; not always needed) -- 512MB due to requirement to be 256MB-address-aligned
* VGA memory (common on laptops) -- ranges from 16MB to 256MB
* TSEG -- 1MB

All of these things combined can easily take up 1GByte of addressing space (thus RAM).

Will the 1GB make your laptop run faster? Possibly, but we have no idea how much memory usage you're usually at during common tasks. Task Manager or Resource Manager will show this (a screenshot would be helpful to determine if you're "running out of RAM").

Your laptop runs slow during VLC + Firefox almost certainly because of crummy graphics processing combined with the Intel Core i3 (first-gen) CPU you have. VLC is not exactly the speediest thing on the planet either (try MPC-HC sometime).
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

godsmacked92

Ok. So what you're saying is that the 1GB is being used, I just don't notice it. I'll be putting up some screenshot from the task manager later.

Thanks for all the response.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

1 recommendation

reply to godsmacked92
Windows 7 Starter only supports up to 2 GB RAM. As others have said, you will have to upgrade to a different version.
--
KI6RIT

godsmacked92

In case I install a WIN 7 Home or higher, the driver installers should be the same right?

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
said by godsmacked92:

In case I install a WIN 7 Home or higher, the driver installers should be the same right?

As long as you install the 32 bit version of Win 7 and providing that the driver installer does not check for the starter version of win 7, the drivers should work.
--
Learn from the past and look to the future.

AlphaOne
I see
Premium
join:2004-02-21
reply to koitsu
Yes, I think 32-bit Windows can use more than 2GB, but not made available for the applications to use.

Not sure how PAE (Physical Address Extension) works, and I'm not sure if it's ON by default.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
said by AlphaOne:

Yes, I think 32-bit Windows can use more than 2GB, but not made available for the applications to use.

Not sure how PAE (Physical Address Extension) works, and I'm not sure if it's ON by default.

This issue has nothing whatsoever to do with 32-bit or PAE. It's a marketing decision of Microsoft to limit Windows 7 STARTER to 2GB of RAM.

Any other version of Windows 7 will see and use all 3GB.

godsmacked92

reply to godsmacked92
if i upgrade to a higher WINDOWS version do i have to install new drivers or i could use the same?

norwegian
Premium
Outback

You can use the same drivers only if:
The O/S you buy is a 32-bit (x86) O/S and is Win7, similar to what is installed.

You will need to obtain different drivers if:
If you buy a 64-bit O/S (Win7), as you need drivers for the 64-bit architecture.

If you go to Win8 you will need specific drivers for it, either 32-bit, or 64-bit.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
Depending on the hardware and specific driver, older drivers can work. I've used Vista drivers with Windows 7 and 8 many times (last one was a few days ago for my 11-year-old HP Scanjet 2300c, Vista 64-bit driver worked beautifully on 8 64-bit). Occasionally, even XP drivers can work, although the range of hardware that you can do that with is much smaller.

As norwegian See Profile posted, what you'll really have to pay attention to is whether you're installing a 32 or 64-bit OS, and using the corresponding drivers.
--
KI6RIT

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX
reply to godsmacked92
If you stay with 32 bit Windows 7, you won't even have to re-install anything, you'll just have to enter a new product key.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Are you sure? The CD iso picks at the beginning which version to install, not the key, so how would that work. Link please?

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX

1 recommendation

He already has Windows Starter (32 bit) installed. So as long as it is still installed, all he has to do is the Windows Anytime Upgrade on the System Properties page (click the Get more features... as shown in the first post in this thread).

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Understand. I've never done an upgrade because of driver issues in the past. Guess that isn't the case here.

Good point.
--

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to tcg
Ah, I completely forgot about that.
--
KI6RIT