spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TomTor2

@bell.ca

Is Start Communications going to match new Rogers speeds?

I really like those new Rogers upload speeds. Does anybody know whether Start Communications is going to offer them too? I heard that Teksavvy is working on it, but couldn't find anything related to Start.
Rogers has some promo now with 160GB/month on their new Express package (with 2Mb upload), and I'm really tempted. I would still prefer Start, but can we be sure that the 2Mb uploads will be offered soon?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

Start is on the agreggated POI, so in theory they should get the new speeds.

However Robbers is trying to convince the CRTC that they are new speeds and require new tariffs.

So it's up in the air...

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20

Just guesswork, but...
No matter how bad the CRTC ruling on this issue is, Start will most likely offer the new speeds at existing prices on Advanced (aka Extreme) and Pro (aka Extreme Pro). Expect this by end of February, but possibly as soon as mid-January.

The up in the air part is Standard (aka Express). The wholesale price increase Rogers is requesting on that service is something like $7/month, and that can't possibly get folded into the existing prices.
--
electronicsguru.ca

TomTor2

@bell.ca

With $7 price hike, it wouldn't make much sense, because the price would be just $3 less than the Advanced package (assuming that really stays the same).
Anyways, as long as they are going to offer the new speeds, I'm (moderately) fine with the slight price increase. It's still cheaper than Rogers and the monthly cap is much more sane.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20

1 edit

said by TomTor2 :

With $7 price hike, it wouldn't make much sense, because the price would be just $3 less than the Advanced package (assuming that really stays the same).

$7 increase in wholesale cost. So, you know, worse than you are thinking. Remember, it is all just speculation until the CRTC rules. I know it is hard to just wait it out, but that really is where we are at. Watch this space next month for the real answers.

I wouldn't go and agree to a one year contract at this point, that much is for sure. But then, I guess I wouldn't normally recommend agreeing to a contract at any point, so I might be a bit biased on that subject.
--
electronicsguru.ca

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to TomTor2

Just to echo some of the comments here. Yes, the new speeds will likely be available in January/February but as was correctly stated, we're not sure of what the pricing impact will be yet. I suspect the Commission won't take too long to make a decision on this file, but with the holidays coming up it's hard to say exactly when it will come out.

TomTor2

@bell.ca

Thanks for the answers. Just to be clear on this, even if I order Start service now, I can later switch to the new higher speeds, right? I just want to make sure I will not be locked in the lower speeds forever.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

Absolutely, no problem changing in the future to whatever new plans may exist.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to TomTor2

said by TomTor2 :

Just to be clear on this, even if I order Start service now, I can later switch to the new higher speeds, right?

I dunno what speed tier you are taking now, but be sure to get a D3 modem if you are planning or thinking of upping the speed.

I don't even see why anyone should bother selling D2 modems anymore.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to rocca

said by rocca:

Just to echo some of the comments here. Yes, the new speeds will likely be available in January/February but as was correctly stated, we're not sure of what the pricing impact will be yet. I suspect the Commission won't take too long to make a decision on this file, but with the holidays coming up it's hard to say exactly when it will come out.

Nothing showing up on
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/decisions.htm

Holidays gives the CRTC additional time to figure things out as well. Figuring after holidays now.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP