share rss forum feed

Hyper Static
Premium
join:2003-11-15
Olean, NY
kudos:1

PC won't boot

Hey everyone,

Not quite sure what to do in this scenario. I'm at a complete loss.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Asus M4A79XTD evo
AMD Athlon II X4 630
GeForce GTS 250
2x2GB G.Skill memory

I just recently upgraded my hard drive from a 200 gb to a 2tb. I didn't want to lose my install, so I just made a complete copy of the hard drive and copied it to the new hard drive. Everything went very smoothly. Booted up the new hard drive and was seamless. I started rearranging my data considering I had a couple other smaller hard drives. So while I have been using the computer, I noticed that there were beeps from time to time. So I checked my temps on my cpu and what not, everything seemed to check out. Being annoyed with the beeping, I took the cover off my computer and figured I would clean it up. Took the thing apart and dusted it off really well. Put it all back together booted up fine and it continued to beep randomly. Just during regular operation. So I started updating my drivers and what not. Had to do a reboot, and that's where I ran into a snag. I could not boot. At one point, I got to the "starting windows" screen but stuck there. Time after time, I would get stuck at different points of the boot.

So I unhooked the new hard drive to see if that is what it was, and re-installed the unaltered old hard drive that I copied my files from. And again, I couldn't boot.

I created a bootable USB Windows 7 thumb drive and tried booting from that, but to no avail. Locked up too.

So I'm thinking that there is some sort of hardware issue? Not sure where the problem would be, but the whole beeping really just makes me fear that its the motherboard.

Any input would help, I'm currently trying to boot the damn thing and will update with any progress.

Thanks in advance folks!

Hyper Static
Premium
Olean, NY

1 edit

So I keep trying to boot and trying to boot to the usb thumb drive to try to repair the windows install and nothing.

It's seems like it just freezes. Either at the "starting windows" screen or the "windows is loading files..." screen with the white progress bar.

I keep jumping back and forth between the old and the new hard drive and from time to time it will say that it can't boot because of a hardware or software change.

Not sure what's going on. Really pissing me off.

Hyper Static
Premium
Olean, NY
reply to Hyper Static

One of the errors I get when I try booting with the new hard drive is "FATAL ERROR: Something went wrong (FACP). Forceful mode will skip. Press any key to continue booting."

So then I hit enter and it takes me to the Windows Manager and gives me two different options, both saying "Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)" neither seem to take me anywhere. When I pick the first one, it comes up that
"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." And gives me the options to start a repair thing, or boot normally. So when I choose the repair option, it freezes on the loading files screen. When I choose the force boot, it just freezes on the starting windows screen (with now logo just text)

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Hyper Static

I wonder if you put it on a different pc will it work, as a secondary drive.

I think your drive are fine.. I think it is the mainboard.

Asus M4A79XTD-EVO - No POST, Blue screen and hard locking - 1

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mtGjC1NoTY

Asus M4A79XTD-EVO - No POST, Blue screen and hard locking - 2

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-014unkwWs

I'm not sure are you using the latest bios for the mainboard, and can you flash the bios to the latest bios.
»usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM···download

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to Hyper Static

said by Hyper Static:

One of the errors I get when I try booting with the new hard drive is "FATAL ERROR: Something went wrong (FACP). Forceful mode will skip. Press any key to continue booting."

So then I hit enter and it takes me to the Windows Manager and gives me two different options, both saying "Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)" neither seem to take me anywhere. When I pick the first one, it comes up that
"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." And gives me the options to start a repair thing, or boot normally. So when I choose the repair option, it freezes on the loading files screen. When I choose the force boot, it just freezes on the starting windows screen (with now logo just text)

If you're able to post consistently then more than likely it's either your windows install became corrupted or any additional hardware, such as, the additional hard drive is taxing the power supply. I would unplug any extra devices, hard drives drives, optical drives and such in order to eliminate causes. Check all your connections to make sure everything is plugged in correctly and securely. If you're currently having issues with the original drive then you might have damaged something(static discharge) while cleaning.
--
When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football.

Hyper Static
Premium
Olean, NY
reply to Hyper Static

It turned out to be that when I tried hooking up an additional USB that the case offered, I failed to ground that particular USB, so it would not boot.

Problem solved for future reference.