uniqs
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420 to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall

Re: Are New Speeds Still Coming?

Somehow I doubt that the new speeds will be coming anytime soon. If they do, they will definitely require pair bonding for most folks.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I'm thinking the same .

Whyyou421
@comcast.net

Whyyou421 to WhyMe420

Anon

to WhyMe420
He might not need pair bonding. The speed upgrades going to be done with line vectoring and utilization of additional spectrum. You're line seems to not have that much crosstalk interference, so you might only see your max sync rate jump to 80mbps. As of now uverse uses upto 8.5MHz on your VDSL2 line, so they will be using spectrum up to 12MHz. If those two things still don't qualify you for faster speeds then pair bonding will installed. As of now your 3800/3801 gateways simply need a software upgrade to handle a vectored line. For the additional spectrum, AT&T will need new RGs

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Whyyou421 :

He might not need pair bonding. The speed upgrades going to be done with line vectoring and utilization of additional spectrum. You're line seems to not have that much crosstalk interference, so you might only see your max sync rate jump to 80mbps. As of now uverse uses upto 8.5MHz on your VDSL2 line, so they will be using spectrum up to 12MHz. If those two things still don't qualify you for faster speeds then pair bonding will installed. As of now your 3800/3801 gateways simply need a software upgrade to handle a vectored line. For the additional spectrum, AT&T will need new RGs

»www.pace.com/americas/pr ··· l/5233n/

Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder to Whyyou421

to Whyyou421
According to Dave Burstein at DSL Prime, vectoring is only going to be available on new builds. Existing uverse won't be upgraded unless the competitive situation changes.

»fastnetnews.com/dslprime ··· sinesses.
quote:
From now on, every new build that’s mostly under 3,000 feet should be vectored. Up to 300 meters, speeds are proving out at 70-100 meg down, 10-40 up. AT&T hasn’t suggested they would upgrade the existing 30M lines, so only the last 10% of U-Verse is likely to benefit. It should add less than $200M to the overall U-Verse cost. Existing vendors Alcatel and Adtran hope for the contract, while Calix is trying to edge in. Only Alcatel is publicly shipping vectored DSLAMs, but Adtran and Calix are working to catch up.

In Germany, there are 12M or more homes to upgrade; Britain, France and Italy also have many non-upgraded lines that would be natural. At this year’s BBWF, it was clear the technical problems are fast being solved. But Britain and France are holding back on vectoring because it’s not clear how it will work with unbundling. The three countries have prices 30-50% lower than the U.S. because they have four wireline competitors. They don’t want to give that up.

AT&T has for years had a contingency plan to use vectoring and bonding if customers in volume leave for 100 megabit cable. That isn't in the data, and Randall publicly says "20-30 megabits will be competitive for many years." In fact, AT&T has been holding market share in U-Verse areas where they only offer 10-15 megabits. To do a full upgrade to vectoring would bring 70-100 megabits to the majority of U-Verse homes for about $2B/year for three years. That's a plausible investment but they've given no indication they will pull the trigger unless cable gets much more aggressive. U-Verse is built to a 5-6,000 foot standard; vectoring improvements fall off dramatically after 2,000 feet. So many of the U-Verse homes will not see speedups even if AT&T moves ahead aggressively.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Well now you make me sad . Hopefully with Comcast trying to keep up with Verizon in our state will make AT&T actually do something here.
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2 to Zoder

to Zoder
As a tech I have done a few pairbond installs in the 2-3k range and would see speeds up to 100 on several customers. But the key to this upgrade is to activate each uverse customer with a second pair.

This is the major sticking point in all PB installs, most areas the techs struggle because lack of training or just being exposed to the techniques I&R uses. When I was in Dallas, Houston and even San Antonio, most techs would end up doing a subpar install or kicking the job to I&R.

I could never see the possibility of a complete upgrade, they don't have enough qualified techs, and if they don't act fast the cable speeds will be untouchable.