Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner

Re: R.A. Dickey may be close to being a Blue Jay

JP Arencibia will likely be the asking price. Along with a couple more prospects. A real painful loss. Not that JP is the best catcher in baseball, but he is very Canadianized -- he wants to be in Toronto like no other player. He's very good with the kids at sick children's. He's also a guys guy because whenever he breaks his hand he doesn't act like a girl, like how A-Rod acted when he broke his hand.

However...

Having 6 starters in the line-up..and by that, 6 guys that have some decent quality that, will make this team hard to hit against. The Jays have sufficient hitting, and with D'Arnaud on the way in, Jays don't really need two top notch catching. I believe D'Arnaud is the legacy of Harry (Roy) Doc Halladay.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

The Mets will get D'Arnaud, not JP.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by shaner:

The Mets will get D'Arnaud, not JP.

I know, I read that report.

I'm hearing that it will in fact be JP that will be leaving. D'Arnaud will be coming up in May to be starting with the Blue Jays. John Buck will take it for April. Decent source told me, Mike Wilner, although he's not always right.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Well, JP for Dickey is a trade I think most Blue Jay fans could live with.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
I don't like losing either guy, especially since D'Arnaud, if all the hype is correct, is a true blue chip elite start. The type of man that can make a team. Dickey doesn't have a lot of years left. Though if the Jays can get another 4 or 5 out of him, at quality, then it might be okay. He tosses knuckleball, which throws teams off, and knuckleball is a technique, less stress on the arm, as long as they can reach the place. (though it don't matter, batters swing anyway)

Those pitchers do age differently. So 38 or 33 for fastball, probably same difference.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Yeah, but look how long Wakefield and Niekro lasted. 38 is not old for a knuckleballer.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

Well, JP for Dickey is a trade I think most Blue Jay fans could live with.

If he's in the middle of the line-up, it's going to be next to impossible to score runs against this team. If Johnson returns to form, and Romero returns to normalcy, they can pitch games before and after him, since both have good fastballs.

As I said, I wouldn't want to face the Jays if I am a Yankee. Jays will need to be out pitched to lose games.

Now think about it, Jose should return to form, Melky should be a great left fielder, Reyes should be awesome up the middle, and I expect ungodly things from Rasmus in 2013, once he's all healed, and I pity the fans in level 500 right field that are not watching because they'll get a ball in the face, a Rasmus ball.

Jays can afford some injuries....they are getting that depth that they need.

We just need to get Laurie to take it down a level and no more camera bay diving.

This team should be interesting for the next 3 or 4 years. Hopefully by then, the minors will be replenished.
J E F F4

J E F F4 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
What was Niekro? 48? I know he pitched for the Jays, not well, but he was pitching for the yanks before that and doing a pretty good job.

Here are some of his numbers -- he was ace in his 40's.