spc
uniqs

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to DataRiker

to DataRiker

Re: let the speculation begin!

you wouldn't happen to only have a DOCSIS 2.0 modem would you? that would make a difference as you are less likely to have congestion if you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by motorola870:

you wouldn't happen to only have a DOCSIS 2.0 modem would you? that would make a difference as you are less likely to have congestion if you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

Is that only during peak hours? I have an old Ambit/Ubee U10C018 cable modem. It is slower during peak hours. I assume everyone is hogging the faster speeds since the speed upgrades.
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

nephipower

Like Motorola870 said you are much less likely to have problem with DOCSIS 3.0 because with 2.0 you are only relying on one single channel. So if that channel gets congested then you get speed slow downs.

However with DOCSIS 3.0 and TWC you are going to have at least 4 downstream channels so if one is more congested they can utilize other channels that are not as congested. So all 4 together they are able to get constant and consistent speeds. You can still have speed problems but it is a lot less likely.

That is why you can see HUGE changes in performance going from a DOCSIS 2.0 modem to a 3.0 one. If you are already in a good service area for 2.0 then you won't really see any real difference. In some cases you might see performance decrease because Powerboost only works with 2.0.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

2 edits

antdude

Premium Member

said by nephipower:

Like Motorola870 said you are much less likely to have problem with DOCSIS 3.0 because with 2.0 you are only relying on one single channel. So if that channel gets congested then you get speed slow downs.

However with DOCSIS 3.0 and TWC you are going to have at least 4 downstream channels so if one is more congested they can utilize other channels that are not as congested. So all 4 together they are able to get constant and consistent speeds. You can still have speed problems but it is a lot less likely.

That is why you can see HUGE changes in performance going from a DOCSIS 2.0 modem to a 3.0 one. If you are already in a good service area for 2.0 then you won't really see any real difference. In some cases you might see performance decrease because Powerboost only works with 2.0.

Can you define good service area? Is that uptime? If so, then yes, it is fine. To me, yeah it works well during non-peak hours like right now at 9 AM PST: 1.7-2.0 mB/sec from Steam. During peak hours, I noticed download speeds can go down to about 200 kB/sec.

Does TWC have DOCSIS3 modems for those with digital phone service? I think my parents still use a DOCSIS2 cable modem (Arris TM502G) from its summer's installation.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

Yes I have phone service too.

They will not send out a new modem unless something is wrong with this one.

I might try the direct forum and see what they say.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by DataRiker:

Cant you stop by a local office?
thorin
join:2007-11-08
Kansas City, MO

thorin to antdude

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by nephipower:

Can you define good service area? Is that uptime? If so, then yes, it is fine. To me, yeah it works well during non-peak hours like right now at 9 AM PST: 1.8-2 mB/sec from Steam. During peak hours, I noticed download speeds can go down to about 200 kB/sec.

Does TWC have DOCSIS3 modems for those with digital phone service? I think my parents still use a DOCSIS2 cable modem (Arris TM502G) from its summer's installation.

Here at least they have two different D3 phone modems. Arris tg862/852 and a Ubee model.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

Here at least they have two different D3 phone modems. Arris tg862/852 and a Ubee model.

I wonder why TWC installer guy didn't give them a DOCSIS3 cable modem! That means, they have to replace the modem just for it. Argh! IIRC, faster speed packages would require it too.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

1 recommendation

bluepoint

TWC didn't mind going back and forth, they have plenty of $ to waste.
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to DataRiker

to DataRiker
said by DataRiker:

I might try the direct forum and see what they say.

Seriously man how is not having slow internet not something that is wrong with your service. Like other have mentioned go to your local service station and get your modem swapped out for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

Or you can go buy your own modem and avoid the rental fee. So seriously you need to go do that before complaining more about your internet not working. Lots of people have problems with old modems.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

4 edits

DataRiker

Premium Member

I have already requested a new modem on the phone and was told this modem is correct for my service.

If a DOCSIS3 modem is required for their service they should have given me one.

As for driving to get another, standing in line, and explaining to some unhappy employee why i need a new modem ( and probably get the same model anyway), that does sound tempting.