uniqs
share rss forum feed

Voodoo
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Mount Bethel, PA

[DSL] P-663HN-51 WAN Settings Help

Click for full size

I recently got set up with a bonded DSL connection with Frontier. I was given the ZyXel P-663HN-51 modem/router. I was hoping to switch the ZyXel to bridge mode so I could use it as a modem only, but couldn't seem to get that to work. I set my own router up with my PPPoE login info but could not get a connection. Unfortunately, it was late at night and stupidly I did not back up the settings of the ZyXel before I restored to default.

I've got my connection working again, but was hoping someone could possibly confirm the proper WAN settings Frontier uses. The attached images are the settings I'm currently using.

Initially, I had called tech support and currently have a ticket open, but no tech had made it out here since calling on Wednesday. So I did some digging and was able to get my connection working again. However, I want to be sure I have all the correct settings before I cancel my ticket. For all I know there might be other settings than the WAN setup that I stupidly erased when I restored to default too.
--
1010011010 - The Number of the Beast

jenni4um

join:2012-12-10
Henrietta, NY
I have a normal DSL line and static DSL line with frontier.
A good friend of mine has a bonded set up and I played around with his modem a little bit. I know that with Frontier you can only set your modem to Bridge if your CO is set to allow it. In most cases now Frontier no longer Bridges modems unless they are static set ups. The DSL modems have the ability to switch over to routed bridge which is like a virtual bridge but i am unsure if the bonded will play nice that way.
As far as your settings here is what i saw that you may want to change.
Make sure the VPI/VCI setting is 0/35
make sure you have PPPoE selected with your correct username and password. Make sure your MTU value is 1492 or you wont beable to get to some secure sites.
and take the check out of the bridged check box you have down at the bottom.

I hope this helps. And remember I have only played around a little with the bonded modems so im no pro but i was able to get my friends to work after changing the settings around for fun.

Voodoo
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Mount Bethel, PA
Thanks! I'll give that a try unless the tech stops by before I get home. They always seem to get there when my fiance is home and I am not around to ask a bunch of questions lol.
--
1010011010 - The Number of the Beast