O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to arc03

Re: 1800 feet away from connection

That sounds a little high price-wise. I'd expect it to be about $10-13K in anticipation of an equalizer, LE, and tap - as well as hardline. Soil type and rock content for your region will make the price vary.
You'll probably need to get in touch with engineering to survey the job if you want an accurate price.

Tell the neighbors to pony-up (get it in writing).
It will be more than a trench. It will basically be a build-out.

TBQFH, I'd probably contact Charter engineering and see if they will work with you on price. These threads pop up quite a bit. Sometimes, Charter is reasonable - often cutting the quote significantly. Other times, they stand pat.

I wouldn't waste too much energy on it if it looks like Charter isn't interested.
TBQFH, I'd just get DSL if it's available. You'll never "recoup" the cost of the build-out for cable. You are basically paying someone to sell you stuff - and this ain't Sam's Club or Costco.

Also, it looks like Clearwire might be available in your area - better than nothing.

To put things into perspective, $20,000 would buy you about 4-1/2 years of a tier one T1 circuit.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

arc03

join:2012-12-15
Moore, SC

How do I get in touch with charter engineering?

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

They do not give out the numbers for local offices any more. Years ago, they started forwarding all the local numbers to call centers. You can try (864) 641-6833 and see if it works.
Your best bet is to personally visit your local office between 9-5 (not at lunch time) on a weekday.
725 Union St
Spartanburg
--

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

To put things into perspective, $20,000 would buy you about 4-1/2 years of a tier one T1 circuit.

yes, but at 1.544mbps, that is a fucking rip off, and you know T1s are now far outdated and useless. If he can get a private contractor to lay the lines to all houses, or even get charter to do it, and get all his neighbors in on it and to pony up, charter may just do it. They may also have a franchising obligation there, which would be worth looking into, that could force them to serve the homes regardless of the install cost. I know its that way here in superior(where I live), that within the city and town bounds, Charter has no choice on the matter if you build within those bounds, they have to serve you and get a line to you(at their cost).

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

I'd rather have a T1 than nothing. T1's are far from useless. They just aren't as fast. They are more reliable, available, and guaranteed. Businesses are still spending millions of dollars a month on T1's. Many because they are stupid, but most because they need that dedicated reliability.
Besides, I was just putting it into perspective. That's why, in my post, I clearly said talk to Charter engineering first before moving to other options.
--