uniqs
dabomb4097
join:2012-12-13
Willowbrook, IL

dabomb4097 to NetDog

to NetDog

Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Gives Address But No Default Gateway

said by NetDog:

Can you manually add the default route? Does the E3200 give you that access? I can get the link local address for you if you can

Unfortunately, the router only has provisions to add IPv4 routes, there are no advanced v6 options.

So, here's the next fun question...if it is a cable modem firmware problem, how can I correct that? I have a customer-owned modem, and I'm reading conflicting reports on whether or not Comcast will push firmware updates to them. If Comcast will not push a firmware update to a customer-owned modem, is there a way I can update it from my end? If I will be stuck with this non-working firmware forever please let me know, I'm still in the 30-day return window where I can exchange this modem for a different brand/model that will work if need be. Or is the firmware problem just an incompatibility with my particular router, and getting a different router will fix it?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by dabomb4097:

So, here's the next fun question...if it is a cable modem firmware problem, how can I correct that? I have a customer-owned modem, and I'm reading conflicting reports on whether or not Comcast will push firmware updates to them. If Comcast will not push a firmware update to a customer-owned modem, is there a way I can update it from my end? If I will be stuck with this non-working firmware forever please let me know, I'm still in the 30-day return window where I can exchange this modem for a different brand/model that will work if need be.

Comcast definitely pushes updated firmware to customer owned modems. I also have my own SB6121 (with the same 1.0.6.8 firmware as you have) that I installed in September, and I have already had two firmware updates pushed to it.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to dabomb4097

MVM

to dabomb4097
If it's a cable modem firmware issue, Comcast is the one who will push the firmware update to you. You have absolutely no control over this. Folks like SteveTeow See Profile and jlivingood See Profile will need to get involved. Be aware there is a very large amount of politics/procedures with regards to Comcast's relationship with the modem manufacturer to get firmware updates (the same applies to Motorola, UBee, Zoom, and any other brands that work with Comcast).

But like two of us have already said -- the SB6120 and SB6121 are not blocking these kinds of packets. I live in Silicon Valley and I do not have the issue you report, and NetFixer See Profile lives in Tennessee and does not have the issue you report. I think focusing on "modem firmware problem" is barking up the wrong tree. We don't have hard evidence at this point that that's the root cause.

I'm waiting on NetDog See Profile's response to me WRT if he needs me to test IPv6. My router (Linux-based) has tcpdump and I am a senior UNIX SA + NA, so I have no problem proving the existence of ICMPv6 RAs and prefix delegation if need be.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to dabomb4097

Premium Member

to dabomb4097
said by dabomb4097:

So, here's the next fun question...if it is a cable modem firmware problem, how can I correct that?

Comcast will push the firmware to you on approved cable modems, and yes the SB6120\SB6121 is approved.
said by dabomb4097:

Or is the firmware problem just an incompatibility with my particular router, and getting a different router will fix it?

I am going to try and recreate the issue on Monday so standby, if I can recreate the issue then we can go from there.
dabomb4097
join:2012-12-13
Willowbrook, IL

dabomb4097

Thanks!

My router is an Cisco/Linksys E3200 Hardware 1.0 with firmware 1.0.04 build 1 Apr 10, 2012.

And I'm not sure if its a coincidence or not, but I woke up this morning and found both my TV and HSI completely out. There appears to be no signal, TV or Internet, on the line coming into my house at all.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Maybe something outside (or somewhere on Comcast's end) was failing and causing the IPv6 to not pass through, and when it completely failed it resulted in complete loss of service. Are your neighbors affected too?

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Maybe something outside (or somewhere on Comcast's end) was failing and causing the IPv6 to not pass through, and when it completely failed it resulted in complete loss of service. Are your neighbors affected too?

Mike,

I have checked with other customers that this users CMTS and they are working fine. So it is only this user and one other user on a totally different CMTS. From what I can see so far they are not receiving the RA's from the CMTS. Very odd..

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Are both customers using the same or similar family router like from the 2011 E series or 2012 EA series routers?

However, I really don't think it's the router because with how popular these two series are, there would be more customers affected and I haven't heard seen anything similar to this yet. Could it be possible that the modem wasn't provisioned correctly on the account?

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Are both customers using the same or similar family router like from the 2011 E series or 2012 EA series routers?

However, I really don't think it's the router because with how popular these two series are, there would be more customers affected and I haven't heard seen anything similar to this yet. Could it be possible that the modem wasn't provisioned correctly on the account?

The issue must be modem related, bootfile or something.. One user has a SB6120 the other SB6121. One user has a ASUS RT-N66U (I know for a fact this works) and the other has a Cisco E3200. One tested directly with a Windows 7 PC without seeing the RA's.

Not the same CMTS, not even close..

Both are not seeing the RA's coming from the CMTS, but other customers on the same CMTS's are working.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

This is definitely troubling.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

And even more so for those who are actually experiencing this anomaly.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

4 recommendations

whfsdude to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I don't mean to hijack the thread but this has to be said.

I'd say this is all really awesome and positive for the Internet community. You have an ISP aggressively deploying IPv6 and pushing the CPE vendors.

Active community engagement and open dialog with power users to hammer out the bugs.

If every ISP acted like this, we wouldn't be sitting at 2% adoption in North America.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

3 recommendations

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by whfsdude:

said by Mike Wolf:

I don't mean to hijack the thread but this has to be said.

I'd say this is all really awesome and positive for the Internet community. You have an ISP aggressively deploying IPv6 and pushing the CPE vendors.

Active community engagement and open dialog with power users to hammer out the bugs.

If every ISP acted like this, we wouldn't be sitting at 2% adoption in North America.

Can anyone imagine AT&T working one on one with individual residential or small business customers to get IPv6 working? Can anyone image AT&T even getting native IPv6 working for anyone other than a few select enterprise level customers?

There is a reason why I use 10 year old routers that have a snowball's chance in hell of ever being upgraded to support IPv6 to connect to my backup AT&T connection. Although, the Mayan Calendar that the TRENDnet router uses may force me to replace it after the upcoming Winter Solstice.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to whfsdude

to whfsdude
Very true.