joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo

Re: Trying to print to network printers

I'd start tracing it. Add the printer that shows up as OpenDirectory then go to »localhost:631 and see where they are printing to (Ip/hostname)

And either fix it, add an Open Directory (Mac OS X Server), or Linux machine with CUPS for printer sharing.

not
@comcast.net

not

Anon

This is very simple. Direct IP printing bypasses the security of the AD and sends the print jobs directly to the printer. Once there, the burden of print/don't print access is left up to the printer in question. Some copiers have the ability to require a logon to be passed from its driver along with the print job that was sent in order to allow for the print job to process. If this isn't passed, it won't print. Since you're stating that you can print to these printers all day long if you add them as IP printers, then your problem is with your Mac authenticating to the AD server. Your options are to either keep setting them up as IP printers or properly configure your Mac to authenticate to the AD server.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by not :

This is very simple. Direct IP printing bypasses the security of the AD and sends the print jobs directly to the printer. Once there, the burden of print/don't print access is left up to the printer in question. Some copiers have the ability to require a logon to be passed from its driver along with the print job that was sent in order to allow for the print job to process. If this isn't passed, it won't print. Since you're stating that you can print to these printers all day long if you add them as IP printers, then your problem is with your Mac authenticating to the AD server. Your options are to either keep setting them up as IP printers or properly configure your Mac to authenticate to the AD server.

Ok I thought did I set the Mac up to authenticate. Under system preferences, Users and Groups, Log In Options, it shows our domain name as the Network account server.

Is this not how you do it? If not, then how would I properly authenticate the Mac to the AD?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Did you try joako's suggestion of looking at the local CUPS page to see where it's actually sending the print jobs to? Does it look like the jobs are being sent to the AD server, directly to the printer, or nowhere?

I'm still thinking the AD server is just misconfigured and, without having access to an AD server to test, it'd be up to your Windows Admin to track down. It could be misconfigured network settings, authentication issues (as not pointed out), or a slew of other things.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to joako

Premium Member

to joako
For localhost to work, do I need to have a Mac server running?
Cause all of these printers are on a windows 2003 server.

Hmm...linux machine. I may try that. Would Ubuntu work for that? And if it so, would have to be a server edition?
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
Your thought of the AD server being misconfigured isn't a far stretch since those who run it seem to not really care. I have access to the server but I'm not entirely sure on where I would start since I've never messed with it before.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to onebadmofo

MVM,

to onebadmofo
CUPS is the printing service for OS X. You'll always be able to access »localhost:631 on a Mac.

Joako was suggesting to add a printer on one of your Macs, then go to that URL on the same Mac and check the printers listed there.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

CUPS is the printing service for OS X. You'll always be able to access »localhost:631 on a Mac.

Joako was suggesting to add a printer on one of your Macs, then go to that URL on the same Mac and check the printers listed there.

Aaah ok.

Well I've done that but I'm seeing this:
Web Interface is Disabled

The web interface is currently disabled. Run "cupsctl WebInterface=yes" to enable it.

Not sure how to enable it.

Don't mind me, I'm still very new to in's and out's of the Mac world. But damn is it fun learning it.

Edit---I copied the text into a terminal window. And now I have access. I'll continue with other directions and post back.

true
@execulink.com

true to not

Anon

to not
said by not :

True, I did this at school to print for free