spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wtf1

join:2010-09-09

Rogers constant random disconnects

I currently have Rogers ultimate 75/2, I was put on the package in August, and it has been rock solid up until Dec 1st. Now I'm well aware that starting December 1st Rogers has been upgrading all tiers, I have not received any upgrade but I have noticed how unstable my connection has been ever since.

I am currently using the Cisco DPC3825 terrible router, decent modem. I use it in bridge mode, and haven't noticed an issue up untill recently.

On to the issue at hand, I have been noticing that my connection randomly drops out throughout the day at random times, and I don't seem to be able to replicate the situation. These disconnects last anywhere from a few seconds, to a minute at most. The lights on the modem do not turn off nor change in any way that I can see. I have taken a look at the log within the modem and it turns up these errors.

Sun Dec 16 13:17:58 2012 82000700 Critical (3) Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC...

Sun Dec 16 11:59:43 2012 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

Sun Dec 16 11:59:11 2012 82000700 Critical (3) Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC...

Sat Dec 15 12:43:19 2012 2436694061 Warning (5) Dynamic Range Window violation

Sat Dec 15 01:18:58 2012 82000800 Critical (3) 16 consecutive T3 timeouts while trying to range on upstream ...

Looking at the signals everything seems to be on par, that is until the disconnects occur. Here are the stats normally:

Downstream
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 0.7 dBmV 40.4 dB
Channel 2: -1.3 dBmV 40.0 dB
Channel 3: -1.3 dBmV 40.0 dB
Channel 4: -0.5 dBmV 40.2 dB
Channel 5: -0.5 dBmV 40.4 dB
Channel 6: 0.5 dBmV 40.5 dB
Channel 7: 0.6 dBmV 40.3 dB
Channel 8: 0.8 dBmV 40.2 dB

Upstream
Power Level:
Channel 1: 40.2 dBmV
Channel 2: 42.9 dBmV
Channel 3: 43.4 dBmV
Channel 4: 42.9 dBmV

I noticed that during the time of disconnects the power level to the upload seems to spike up to 51.9 dBmV on all channels, and then lowers back down as soon as the connection comes back online. I have even seen the upstream lose signal to one channel before all channels go down, and then come back up again.

Is this a signal issue due to the upstream bonding, caused by the the large amount of customers having their upload upgraded. Or is this a signal issue on my end somewhere.

I have a Rogers signal booster that is plugged into an outlet in my garage, it was only installed when I had more than 2 televisions using a net box. The tech said I needed it to boost the signal. I now currently only have 2 tv's that use a net box. Would removing the signal booster do more harm then good? Is it possible that the device has malfunctioned? I noticed that before when I would put my hand on the signal booster it seemed warm, which I naturally assumed was due to the fact that it was receiving power, now when I touch it, it seems cold almost as If it is no longer receiving power.

All calls to Rogers seem hopeless as they tell me my line seems fine, I guess I should call a tech to come out. But I feel as if this issue might be on their end and not mine. Any advice would be great, thank you.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

IMHO 99% of the time the problem is on Rogers end. If your internet "has been rock solid up until Dec 1st" that's a good indicator that your end is fine.

Same thing happened here in London back in the spring when Rogers was converting all the analog cable channels to digital format etc. My internet would drop almost daily (sometimes several times a day) This issue resolved itself after a couple months.

Best advice: Check all your lines and connections thoroughly then run a couple Ping tests. Ping tests are a very good indicator of your line/connection quality.

As far as the signal booster goes. Try running without it to eliminate it being the cause of your issues. I read somewhere signal boosters add noise to your signal which degrades your internet connection.

If all else fails call a tech to come out to check all the outside lines. As long as it's a Rogers problem it won't cost you a dime.

smcnulty

join:2012-12-20
reply to Wtf1

I had the same issue when I went to the new modem. i called in and tech support guy said this was common, all he had to do was "change the channel" on my modem from his end.. not sure what that meant, but I instantly started getting better speed (and I went from 2 - 3 dhangs per day, to about 1 or 2 per week. he told me that if it gets bad again, call in to have them change me to another channel on the modem. not the best solution, but keeps me going so far.