Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

skd5

join:2012-12-12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TwiztedZero

Re: [Twitter] Court Hashtag - for Monday ?

said by TwiztedZero:

said by UK_Dave:

Big thanks to Paul Andersen, and Teresa for sterling work getting tweets out in the circumstances....

+1

+2 thanks!

skd5

reply to TwiztedZero

thanks for the efforts!

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Gimli

said by Gimli:

So Teksavvy is sitting there making sure they dont get in crap for not complying and CIPPIC is like baby in the corner....

lovely

Actually, considering they're technically not opposing the motion, Teksavvy pushed pretty hard for the adjournment and got it. This gives CIPPIC breathing space to actually file a proper motion to intervene. It may not have been coordinated but it works out quite well if CIPPIC gets that motion granted. More time for notification and a chance to put together a real, privacy-based legal opposition to Voltage.

swampboy

join:2012-01-24
Hamilton, ON
reply to JMJimmy

Link to CIPPIC submission:

»www.cippic.ca/sites/default/file···2012.pdf

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TwiztedZero

Oh ye of little faith. And THAT's why I applaud Teksavvy! Way to go boys!

Thanks to the tweeters from me as well.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to JMJimmy

CIPPIC didn't move to intervene!?! In the letter they state their intention to do just that... !#$@#%&$&
---------------------

Read their submission before you blow a valve or something....

"We also intend to apply to intervene in the hearing of the motion, but cannot do so in the
short time that has elapsed between the filing of the motion on December 11 and the
proposed hearing date, six days later."

The wording suggests to me, that they INTEND TO APPLY to intervene. And with this delay (well played on the email, Marc), they will.

skd5

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TwiztedZero

I believe either CIPPIC or TSI should setup a voting and ask whoever wants to join the group and have more hands on the opposing side.

Instead of just opposing as an organization wont it be better to have affected subscribers and everyone who is concerned about privacy on their side?

swampboy

Hamilton, ON
reply to swampboy

Thanks to all for their efforts. Teksavvy especially for getting the adjournment. Time for everyone to organize and get behind CIPPIC and others. We can make history here if we can get a precedent against these trolls. This is an IMPORTANT battle to win - notify everyone you know of the danger they can face, even if they are innocent.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS

said by swampboy:

notify everyone you know of the danger they can face, even if they are innocent.

I would use the word "especially" here, as they _are_ victims.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TwiztedZero

going forward I suggest any talk of strategy should be minimized on this public forum and I think you shouldn't expect TSI to say much either. The bad guys are watching everything.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

The Iceman

join:2012-12-14
Port Perry, ON

1 recommendation

reply to TwiztedZero

I bet the Plaintiff did NOT like THAT outcome. I was worried the case would have no opposition and would proceed in the Plaintiffs favor. This gives the Defense time to really fight back here and let Voltage know they are in a street fight here, metaphorically speaking lol. Good outcome from a bad situation IMO.

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

1 recommendation

reply to TwiztedZero

Kodos to Teksavvy and CIPPIC for pushing to have this whole thing delayed. They bought us a month to organize, and get ready.

--Steve

DocS

@gc.ca
reply to AkFubar

Yes, the bad guys are watching and they lost the opening skirmish, SUCKS TO BE YOU!

I love that they actually used the word "Troll" in describing Voltage in the letter.

And as for anyone slamming TSI

1) they went above and beyond
2) if they were in cahoots all they had to do was keep their mouths shut, they robbed Voltage of the element of surprise, in extortion rackets that's a big advantage.
3) They gave everyone the best advice LAWYER UP.
4) They have excellent service and if you're not with them you should be

PS Voltage why not back off now? Why not take all the time and money you're going to spend trying to use the Canadian court system as a piggy bank to bust open and make, y'know good movies? That people would actually pay to see?

No, no, don't tell me your market has been ruined by the Internet the Hobbit just broke how many records? Batman DVD sold how many units? You want to tell me that target market doesn't know something about computers and the Internet? Gosh, it's almost like bittorrents have no impact on sales or something?!!?

sanc5

join:2012-12-13
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

reply to stevey_frac

... anybody considering making voluntary donation to CIPPIC?

»www.cippic.ca/

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to TwiztedZero

Ther CIPPIC submission raise many concerns, and now that they are in the open, the judge will probably have to take them into account.

Most interesing one is that CIPPIC is questionning the commercial nature of the infrigment. Exact wording is :

Finally, it is worth noting that the plaintiff has pleaded that the John and Jane Does have
engaged in commercial infringement. We suggest that even a generous reading of the
applicant’s materials fail to make our even a bona fide case of commercial infringement

This is a very good point and changes the scope of the potential profit greatly for Voltage. It also geopardize the case completely.

Very nice and strong legal opinion.

swampboy

Hamilton, ON
reply to sanc5

Anyone who wants an to operate a home wifi network should donate. You never know what little Johnny a block away is up to.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to TwiztedZero

To everyone reading this thread: If you have twitter (or even if you don't you can google) look up #teksavvy #cippic #voltagetroll to catch up on what all transpired this morning.
Cheers!

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

2 recommendations

reply to swampboy

Voltage brought drafts of the motions to TSI as early as Nov 1 to TSI's first lawyer. Voltage filed in Dec, and that's when TSI forwarded notices off to customers, as it was still possible that they may not file - no use scaring customers for no reason.

Teksavvy's lawyer asked for an adjournment til after the holidays, as they discovered an error with their systems, whereby they incorrectly notified 42 people as to a potential suit against them, and missed notifying 92 people that there will be one brought against them. Also, they stated over 1k+ users still hadn't read the notification email from Teksavvy (thats what those infusion links were for!).

Voltage's lawyer tried some legal maneuvering to get the Judge to disregard some of the statements made by TSI's lawyer. Said that while THEY have an affadavit that these IP addresses downloaded & provided these videos to others, Teksavvy has no affadavit whatsoever to provide the Judge as proof these errors really occured.

Real back & forth between TSI's lawyer and Voltage's lawyer. Voltage's lawyer brought up the BMG case, and TSI's lawyer countered with a York U case for defamation. The York case was an Ontario case made 5 years after the BMG one, whereby an anonymous person was accused of defamation, and both Bell & Rogers were asked to provide subscriber info so the anonymous person could be sued. It resulted in the anonymous person submitting statements anonymously during the proceeding. Teksavvy said they wished to allow their customers time to get legal representation so they could do the same. Voltage's lawyer countered that the York U case didn't apply, but that the BMG one should.

The guy from CIPPIC stood up, and Voltage's lawyer stated that since CIPPIC didn't file a motion to intervene, the Judge shouldn't hear from him.

Judge agreed, and said that he'd already read the letter of intent to file a motion to intervene, he'd read it again during the break while he makes his decision..

10-15 mins of break, followed by the judge coming back and stating he accepted TSI's statement as to errors as TSI's lawyer is an 'officer of the court', and the case would be adjourned to the first sitting of the new year. First date stated was the 7th, then was corrected to the 14th.

Thats pretty much how the entire thing went.

EDIT: Oh yeah.. Voltage's lawyer called TSI's notice to customers essentially nothing more than a PR stunt.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to JMJimmy

n/m

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to UK_Dave

said by UK_Dave:

Big thanks to Paul Andersen, and Teresa for sterling work getting tweets out....

+1

mail man 123

@xmission.net
reply to TwiztedZero

»cippic.ca/sites/default/files/LT···2012.pdf

Full cippic letter.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Andre

said by TSI Andre:

said by UK_Dave:

Big thanks to Paul Andersen, and Teresa for sterling work getting tweets out....

+1

+1 to UK_Dave See Profile also, for reposting some of those tweets here.

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to resa1983

RESA1983 post regarding her attendance in court.
-------------------------------

Very interesting, Resa. Thank you so much for turning up and keeping us all in the loop.

It looks more and more to me (and I appreciate many will disagree), that the phrase "Not opposing the motion" is a specific term.

It doesn't sound like a true reflection of Marc's efforts. It sounds to me like they opposed it - in the general usage of the term - and quite strongly.

Thanks once again - we owe you.

ReeG

join:2012-02-27
North York, ON
reply to resa1983

thanks for the easy to read summary!

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to UK_Dave

said by UK_Dave:

Thanks once again - we owe you.

+1 We certainly do, great summary.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Amou

join:2011-01-29
Guelph, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to UK_Dave

said by UK_Dave:

OK, I'm following on #teksavvy.

Merov/Amou - are you guys in the court room?

No unfortunately I couldn't make it I had work. Which is ironic cause I never work Mondays. But thank you and everyone else who kept me and everyone updated. I'm not a victim but knowledge is power and again TSI is always helping thanks again. They played a slow and well strategize game. Again you never needed to have our back especially through all the pre-judgements and dislike, but you still helped us. People might see it as just only a small thing but to me you've done more then you had too and thank you for that, especially Martin for having to juggle your company as president and spending massive amount of time on the forums and informing us. No enough appreciation in my opinion.
Expand your moderator at work

DCS

@dsf.ca
reply to TwiztedZero

Re: [Twitter] Court Hashtag - for Monday ?

James Zibarras, lawyer for Voltage AKA Lawyer for Officer Bubbles !!! ......

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s···cop.html

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by DCS :

James Zibarras, lawyer for Voltage AKA Lawyer for Officer Bubbles !!! ......

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s···cop.html

We allready know, posted about it in this thread somewheres on the first page.
--
IF TREE = FALL AND PEOPLE = ZERO THEN SOUND = 0
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to tezster

said by tezster:

People sure like to jump to the worse possible conclusions here - CIPPIC weren't given a chance to speak; what are they supposed to do?

CIPPIC may not get to speak on January 14th either.
It all depends on what the judge thinks.