Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to grobinette

Premium Member

to grobinette

Re: Theoretical Question

And here's one reason I never bought a used Ferrari. I had a chance to pick up a 1990's Berlinetta for under $30,000 a few years ago. It had just under 30K miles and was due for the 30,000 mile service. Just too much money for maintenance.

»www.ferraris-online.com/ ··· 00612_SS

Can You Afford $10.27 per Mile?

Only weeks into Ferrari ownership, the 30,000-mile service was repeated and the front shocks were replaced, for a total of $6,196.57

Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4

quote:
The windshield washer reservoir was also replaced for $529.25.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

holy crap. That reservoir better be carbon fiber hand crafted by NASA.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Lone Wolf

MVM

to Lone Wolf
One of the major reason I had friends who could afford E30, E36 M3's and a E46 ZHP, is that they wrenched on the cars themselves.
CylonRed

CylonRed to Kearnstd

MVM

to Kearnstd
You pay for the name... Might be cheaper online - part of that is dealer added costs which are not insubstantial...

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
USA

Lone Wolf to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

One of the major reason I had friends who could afford E30, E36 M3's and a E46 ZHP, is that they wrenched on the cars themselves.

I have a problem with today's nomenclature the manufacturers use. When I was a kid it was easy to know what people were talking about when they mentioned a car name.

Example: We had 3 choices when buying a Chevy, It was an Impala, BelAir or Biscayne. Caddys had a Fleetwood, Coupe DeVille, Sedan DeVille and Eldorado. There were sub-groupings but they were limited when compared to today.

Today I must learn the difference between a E63, E36, M3, X5, X6, FX50, S, SL, SLK, xDrive, iDrive, etc. When learning about the different vehicles that meet my criteria I tried to use Autotrade.com and use advanced options to get close. I can filter my results from there but it still confounds me. It's not too difficult when looking for a new car, but when the names change yearly and you want a used car and aren't up to date on all of the models it's tough.

Check out BMW:

1 Series (F20) (2011–present) Hatchback
1 Series (E81) (2004–present) Coupe and convertible
3 Series (F30) (2012–present) Sedan
3 Series (E90) (2005–present) Sedans
3 Series (E92) (2007-present) Coupe
5 Series (F10) (2010–present) Sedan and Wagon
5 Series Gran Turismo (2009–present) Progressive Activity Sedan
6 Series (F12) (2010–present) Coupe, convertible, Gran Coupe
7 Series (F01) (2008–present) Sedan
X1 (2009–present) Compact Crossover SUV/Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV)
X3 (F25) (2010–present) Compact Crossover SUV/Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV)
X5 (E70) (2006–present) Compact Crossover SUV/Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV)
X6 (2008–present) Sports Activity Coupe
Z4 (E89) (2009–present) Sports Roadster

To figure out what a E36 is I need Google!

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed

MVM

Yea - E designation is not what BMW goes by or sells by - most owners have NO idea if their car is a E46 or E92 or FX xx.... For people who do know the designations - it is a quick and easy way to refer to an entire line during a time frame.

IMHO BMW is just going to kill themselves over all of the lines they currently have. Can hardly wait for a 1.5 series...

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

Here's what gets me lost.

Copy/Paste from wikipedia:

The BMW New Class starting in 1962 with the 1500 and continuing through the last 2002s in 1977. four-cylinder M10. 02 Series 1600 and 2002 in 1966. New Class four-doors with numbers ending in "0" were replaced by the larger BMW 5 Series in 1972. The upscale 2000C and 2000CS coupes were replaced by the six-cylinder BMW E9, introduced in 1969 with the 2800CS. The 1600 two-door was discontinued in 1975, the 2002 replaced by the 320i in 1975.

Maybe I'm just an old, drunken, burnt out stoner, but these numbers are ridiculous.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger

Premium Member

said by Lone Wolf:

Copy/Paste from wikipedia:

The BMW New Class starting in 1962 with the 1500 and continuing through the last 2002s in 1977. four-cylinder M10. 02 Series 1600 and 2002 in 1966. New Class four-doors with numbers ending in "0" were replaced by the larger BMW 5 Series in 1972. The upscale 2000C and 2000CS coupes were replaced by the six-cylinder BMW E9, introduced in 1969 with the 2800CS. The 1600 two-door was discontinued in 1975, the 2002 replaced by the 320i in 1975.

Maybe I'm just an old, drunken, burnt out stoner, but these numbers are ridiculous.

Naw, you are being reasonable in your observation and complaint. That's why you should just trust me in my posts on the subject of the thread.

Actually, I prefer Mercedes over BMW, (the BMW is still a fine car--despite the iDrive), but the first time I went to the BMW web site to "build" a BMW I too was stunned at the stupidly listings of cars.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

said by Blogger:

said by Lone Wolf:

Naw, you are being reasonable in your observation and complaint. That's why you should just trust me in my posts on the subject of the thread.

Actually, I prefer Mercedes over BMW, (the BMW is still a fine car--despite the iDrive), but the first time I went to the BMW web site to "build" a BMW I too was stunned at the stupidly listings of cars.

MB isn't much better.

A-Class—Hatchback
B-Class—Multi-Activity
C-Class—Saloon, Estate & Coupé
CL-Class—Luxury Coupé
CLS-Class—4 Door Coupé
CLS-Class—4 Door Shooting Break
E-Class—Saloon, Estate, Coupé & Cabriolet
G-Class—Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GL-Class—Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLK-Class - Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
M-Class—Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
R-Class—Luxury Tourer Vehicle (LTV)
S-Class—Luxury Sedan
SL-Class—Roadster
SLK-Class—Roadster
SLS AMG—Coupé and Roadster
Viano—Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV)

Lots of sub-classes too. It's confusing but I'm beginning to understand it.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger

Premium Member

Yes, but they, Mercedes start the pyramid or "tree" of cars sold with a much easier and understandable beginning at the opening page of cars offered on their website than BMW. Very user friendly.