twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3
reply to Semaphore

Re: Own ARIN IPs

All transit providers are going to bill you at 95th percentile, however a good portion of them also offer full usage ports as well.

If you can reach any of the fibre suppliers you can probably have it backhauled pretty cheaply. Rogers has plenty of assets in your area.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1

Yeah Rogers, Quest, Cogeco and Bell (via EORN) are my choices for 'real' carriers. I'm currently with two of them. Cheap is not in the vocabulary here I'm afraid, and just backhaul without transit is almost as expense as transit via the carrier. Add on the absolute lack of cooperation and it's just a complete cluster f___.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
Brantford, ON

That is pretty strange, I recall quoting out several backhaul only circuits in your area on rogers fibre for roughly $950 for 100/100.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Inssomniak

And this is just hitting the requirements to get space with ARIN being multi-homed. You can qualify for space and only have 1 provider, no multi-homing, but the smallest block they offer for that qualification is a /20, and you have to show the need to use the majority of it after surrendering your old address space back to whomever your renting it form.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2
reply to twizlar

said by twizlar:

That is pretty strange, I recall quoting out several backhaul only circuits in your area on rogers fibre for roughly $950 for 100/100.

I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. The CHEAPEST 100/100 backhaul only circuit I've been able to get a quote for in my area was around $3500.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to Inssomniak

Ditto... Our fiber link is 2700$ a month where we are.

On a side note, talked to our handler at ARIN. Our request was essentially approved, but they closed offices at 3:00PM today, and unfortunately I can't open my X-mas present until after the holidays.

DOH!

Semaphore
Premium
reply to twizlar

Umm. You sure you know where I am ? Not saying it can't be done but I'd be surprised if you can hit that mark in this area. Robbers's port access fee alone is $1,200 per month. Bandwidth is on top of that and it's in excess of $18 per Mbps per month at 100 Mbps. I pay less than that with my primary provider but not by much.... and again I can't get friggin IP's to save my soul.

Semaphore
Premium
reply to voxframe

said by voxframe:

Ditto... Our fiber link is 2700$ a month where we are.

On a side note, talked to our handler at ARIN. Our request was essentially approved, but they closed offices at 3:00PM today, and unfortunately I can't open my X-mas present until after the holidays.

DOH!

OK I hate you. I rescind my former proposal for matrimonial bliss :-P

voxframe

reply to Inssomniak

LMAO!

Choking on my coffee

Oh I hope they assign something simple and cool.

69.69.69.0/22 would be cool with me.

EDIT - I can't imagine calling any tech and having to give that address to them with out having either of us crack some kind of smile.

voxframe

reply to Inssomniak

#
# Query terms are ambiguous.  The query is assumed to be:
#     "n 69.69.69.69"
#
# Use "?" to get help.
#

#
# The following results may also be obtained via:
# http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=69.69.69.69?showDetails=true&showARIN=false&ext=netref2
#

NetRange:       69.68.0.0 - 69.69.255.255
CIDR:           69.68.0.0/15
OriginAS:
NetName:        EMBARQ-GLOBAL
NetHandle:      NET-69-68-0-0-1
Parent:         NET-69-0-0-0-0
NetType:        Direct Allocation
RegDate:        2003-08-05
Updated:        2012-03-02
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-69-68-0-0-1

OrgName:        Embarq Corporation
OrgId:          EMBAR
Address:        500 N New York Ave
City:           Winter Park
StateProv:      FL
PostalCode:     32789
RegDate:        2006-07-06
Updated:        2012-06-06
Comment:        http://www.CenturyLink.com
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/EMBAR

SHIT! So much for that hope.

On a side note, SOMEONE out there has one of the coolest IPs on the planet. :D

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
Brantford, ON
reply to Semaphore

You are up near carp correct? I quoted out two separate locations close to carp with the same pricing.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.

Semaphore
Premium

Yup. I sent you a PM with my contact info.

DaDawgs
Premium
Deltaville, VA
reply to voxframe

said by voxframe:

[

On a side note, SOMEONE out there has one of the coolest IPs on the planet.

How about 10.4.10.4, 13.13.13.13, 33.33.33.33, 73.73.73.73, 73.88.73.88, 77.77.77.77, I'm wondering what other IPs people can come up with a little thought too... =)
--
Once we IPv6 enable every device on the Internet we will have toasters, baby monitors, and security cameras joining the bot nets which today are populated only by idiots that can not refrain from clicking, "Yes I would like to see those titties..."

voxframe

reply to Inssomniak

LOL By that string you MUST be a ham.

(If so I can't believe you dared throw 10-4 in there LOL)

voxframe

reply to Inssomniak

Semaphore you're gonna hate me.

/22 was approved today, and will be assigned tomorrow once the payment completes.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to DaDawgs

said by DaDawgs:

How about 10.4.10.4

Anyone on the planet can have that IP, though it might not get them very far (without NAT).

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Inssomniak

You could meet the requirements for multihoming with your current connection and an ISDN line as long as you could advertise your address space to each provider. ARIN does not seem to care if your peers provide you with realistic bandwidth. The last allocation I worked on was a DS3 from provider a and a T1 from provider b. There was no way in the world a DS3/T1 combination would be useful yet ARIN insisted that we piss money away on a T1. I set everything up with both providers but I never announced or routed traffic across that T1. Eventually we dropped the T1 and then 4 months later we moved to a new colo facility where I upgraded to multiple 1GB feeds.

Once they allocate it they will never come back and check on your network or if you are fully meshed with other providers.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

voxframe

reply to Inssomniak

Hmmm

Bitter sweet feeling.

We've been assigned our /22

I won't give it out here, BUT it starts with 192.xx.xx.xx... (No it's not 192.168)

It technically is a valid address by all standards, but I'm curious due to its being so close to a Bogon if it will cause me any headaches or issues I didn't think about.

We assign 192.168.99.x to our clients on the interior side of the CPE, and NAT from there. So I don't see an issue here asides from some bad placed netmasks, but that would be a problem regardless.

I'm more wondering from the outside world if that could risk being a problem due to another stupid operator blocking the entire 192 range thinking it's a bogon etc. So we would run into a lot of routing holes etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? This is some new ground for us.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

You are probably fine

You cant be the only one with a 192. range.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

voxframe

reply to Inssomniak

True enough. Just kinda struck me as a little weird.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
reply to Inssomniak

Our range we just got was in 192.30.xxx.xxx

voxframe

reply to Inssomniak

Howdy neighbor!

We got in the 192.81.xx.xx range.

Just a little ways down the block.

voxframe

reply to Inssomniak

Click for full size
New Toys
New ASN ... Check
New IPs ... Check
New MT CloudCore Routers ... Check!

Santa has been good to me this year!

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
reply to voxframe

One would hope there are no bogon filters left these days, since all address space that can possibly be allocated, has been allocated. Bogon filters dont really buy you anything these days.

But you might run in to some in some obscure places. Banks seem to be pretty bad in my experience (risk averse - dont change things that arent broken, including ACLs.)

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
reply to voxframe

So tell me, what exactly do these routers have to do with "the cloud", or is it just a case of buzzword bingo?

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

its post to be the fastest router that mikrotik as came out with from what I heard because each ethernet port is tied directly into cpu.

Vox what version of cloud router did you get because there is 2 versions of it there is one with:CCR1036-12G-4S and CCR1016-12G

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK

If 4S is 4x SFP, then Im guessing he has that model. 4 SFP cages are on the left hand side of the device.

edit: Upon closer inspection, it also says 4S in the picture.

voxframe

reply to Inssomniak

The thing that stands out the most interesting so far with these routers is the fan control lol! The CPU heat reacts at a near instant level with the traffic, and so do the fans.

If I create a broadcast storm on these just for the sake of making them work hard, within 1 second of me plugging in the cable to start the process the fans kick into high gear, and the heat coming out of them goes up substantially. At first the heat is just a nice warm breeze, but then instantly turns into a blast furnace. Never seen a piece of equipment heat and cool that fast. Worries me a bit if a fan fails this thing WILL toast itself no question.

That and the fan controller makes "noise" for lack of a better term. Whatever circuitry they use to control it, makes a funny whine/beep, and it ain't designed to do it on purpose. Funnier, each router sounds different. The first one is more of a beeping as the fans step up, the second one is more like a "bomb falling" whine.

beepbeepbeeepbeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeepppp *VROOM! Fans kick on*

Eeeeeeeyyyyooooooowwwwww...... *VROOM! Fans kick on*

Scared the shit outa me the first time I heard it. Thought it was cooking itself. It's not a "healthy" beeping sound. More like when a circuit is screaming for mercy as it's dying under an over-voltage situation.

Those oddities aside, these things haul ass. I haven't done any serious benchmarking, but just enough to know they ain't your momma's routerboard. ROS6 though is not ready for production. It looks sexy, but seems to have a LOT of stability issues. So these things won't be going into production any time soon.

scorpido
Premium
join:2009-11-02
New Hamburg, ON

Click for full size
I have ya all beat..lol 100 Mbs commit @ 95% on a Gige pipe with a /30 a /26 and a /24. Free install, and no usage caps and also with one of the three big players. Oh and I can burst to the full gige. Total cost per month.....$950.00 CDN plus tax They ran 12 fibers into my box for me...I only am using one.

voxframe

reply to Inssomniak

You're a dick.

I should have added in now that our new /22 has been issued and is now live! We're advertising BGP and all is sweet. We're not multihomed yet (Going live this week) but it's all good.

Wish I was able to pull a connection like that out of my hat.

Our first fiber install was sweet. We are one of the only two places in our town to have fiber so it's kinda nice. We got 48 fiber to the road splice, and 12 fiber to our rack. In our rack we actually have 2 fiber lit from the CO on different line cards, both with some form of "bridged" networking. So if one fiber goes down or one line card drops, I can just swap the fiber to the next port and it'll light up. (If the entire line isn't taken down)

What is really kinda nice, is because this is such a small town, I have the fiber tech's cell number. So when there's anything changing they call me. Last time there was some fiber swaps in town I got to stand in the CO and watch the entire thing happen just to be sure we didn't get cut off.

The best thing is the look on a CO tech's face when I walk in and direct him to our fiber port/patch/etc and he doesn't even know exactly where it is by memory.