Santa has been good to me this year!

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to voxframe

One would hope there are no bogon filters left these days, since all address space that can possibly be allocated, has been allocated. Bogon filters dont really buy you anything these days.

But you might run in to some in some obscure places. Banks seem to be pretty bad in my experience (risk averse - dont change things that arent broken, including ACLs.)

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
reply to voxframe

So tell me, what exactly do these routers have to do with "the cloud", or is it just a case of buzzword bingo?

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

its post to be the fastest router that mikrotik as came out with from what I heard because each ethernet port is tied directly into cpu.

Vox what version of cloud router did you get because there is 2 versions of it there is one with:CCR1036-12G-4S and CCR1016-12G

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK

If 4S is 4x SFP, then Im guessing he has that model. 4 SFP cages are on the left hand side of the device.

edit: Upon closer inspection, it also says 4S in the picture.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to Inssomniak

The thing that stands out the most interesting so far with these routers is the fan control lol! The CPU heat reacts at a near instant level with the traffic, and so do the fans.

If I create a broadcast storm on these just for the sake of making them work hard, within 1 second of me plugging in the cable to start the process the fans kick into high gear, and the heat coming out of them goes up substantially. At first the heat is just a nice warm breeze, but then instantly turns into a blast furnace. Never seen a piece of equipment heat and cool that fast. Worries me a bit if a fan fails this thing WILL toast itself no question.

That and the fan controller makes "noise" for lack of a better term. Whatever circuitry they use to control it, makes a funny whine/beep, and it ain't designed to do it on purpose. Funnier, each router sounds different. The first one is more of a beeping as the fans step up, the second one is more like a "bomb falling" whine.

beepbeepbeeepbeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeepppp *VROOM! Fans kick on*

Eeeeeeeyyyyooooooowwwwww...... *VROOM! Fans kick on*

Scared the shit outa me the first time I heard it. Thought it was cooking itself. It's not a "healthy" beeping sound. More like when a circuit is screaming for mercy as it's dying under an over-voltage situation.

Those oddities aside, these things haul ass. I haven't done any serious benchmarking, but just enough to know they ain't your momma's routerboard. ROS6 though is not ready for production. It looks sexy, but seems to have a LOT of stability issues. So these things won't be going into production any time soon.

scorpido
Premium
join:2009-11-02
New Hamburg, ON
kudos:1

Click for full size
I have ya all beat..lol 100 Mbs commit @ 95% on a Gige pipe with a /30 a /26 and a /24. Free install, and no usage caps and also with one of the three big players. Oh and I can burst to the full gige. Total cost per month.....$950.00 CDN plus tax They ran 12 fibers into my box for me...I only am using one.

voxframe

reply to Inssomniak

You're a dick.

I should have added in now that our new /22 has been issued and is now live! We're advertising BGP and all is sweet. We're not multihomed yet (Going live this week) but it's all good.

Wish I was able to pull a connection like that out of my hat.

Our first fiber install was sweet. We are one of the only two places in our town to have fiber so it's kinda nice. We got 48 fiber to the road splice, and 12 fiber to our rack. In our rack we actually have 2 fiber lit from the CO on different line cards, both with some form of "bridged" networking. So if one fiber goes down or one line card drops, I can just swap the fiber to the next port and it'll light up. (If the entire line isn't taken down)

What is really kinda nice, is because this is such a small town, I have the fiber tech's cell number. So when there's anything changing they call me. Last time there was some fiber swaps in town I got to stand in the CO and watch the entire thing happen just to be sure we didn't get cut off.

The best thing is the look on a CO tech's face when I walk in and direct him to our fiber port/patch/etc and he doesn't even know exactly where it is by memory.

voxframe

reply to Inssomniak

I am curious how you pulled off that Gige port for that price. Can you PM me any details? That would be very sweet lol.

scorpido
Premium
New Hamburg, ON

We also rent a 40 ft tower on the top of the roof of a building in Kitchener for dirt cheap.

scorpido
Premium
New Hamburg, ON

Yeah I will take the "your a dick" as a compliment..lol We did get a sweet deal that's for sure. We also have a bunch of other wisps we need to compete with so we had to make sure we got the best bang for our buck.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to voxframe

Lit building in a major center is how he did it. Same one i tried but it was too far away. Couldn't reasonably get it out of the city
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

voxframe

reply to scorpido

said by scorpido:

Yeah I will take the "your a dick" as a compliment..lol

LOL yep! Green with envy over here.

scorpido
Premium
New Hamburg, ON

Yep, it was a pre-lit building. The patch panel was in the basement and they ran a 12 fiber cable all the way up to the roof for me.