Search similar:

uniqs

jpsvid
@verizon.net

jpsvid

Anon

how to add modem to setup

Hi,
I have comcast tv service. 2 HD boxes and 1 SD box. I want to add a modem for HSI.

The service is split 2 ways from the drop in the attic. 1 leg goes to an HD box on an upper floor. Leg 2 goes down to lower floors and is split 2 ways. 1 leg on an HD box the other on an SD box.
How should I configure to add the modem?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Donut
join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI

Donut

The way comcast did it for us is we have to 2 way splitter that splits the line when it comes in to the house. One side does internet the other side leads to another splitter for TV service.

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin to jpsvid

to jpsvid
Where do you want your modem physically? If you want the modem in its own room, then an unbalanced 3-way splitter should be fine. Put the upstairs TV and the modem on the 7dB legs and downstairs split on the 3.5dB leg. If it's in the same room as the upstairs HD box, then keep using your existing setup plus a 2-way splitter at the wall in that room.

If you want the cable modem in the same room as the two lower floor devices, then you might want to use a 6dB directional coupler or something and put the lower floor split on the ~1dB leg...then use either a balanced or unbalanced 3-way splitter there.

jpsvid
@verizon.net

jpsvid

Anon

Thanks for the replys.
I want the modem in a seperate room. I need to run a cable to the location. So, a 7dB leg is good for a modem?

Thanks again.

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin

I have my modem behind two 3.5 dB legs and the downstream power was a little iffy at -10dBmV without an amp/booster. An amp with a passive return put it back to +5dBmV and SNR went from 34 to 36dB. My run however, is quite long...and there's also quite a length of cable inside the house too.

I doubt you'll have a problem.

jpsvid
@comcastbusiness.net

jpsvid

Anon

kidsafe,
Sounds good. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.