All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Skero
join:2011-09-23

Skero

[HSI] Modem has amber lights on DS and Online

Is this normal? I've always wondered why it isn't green.

It has always been amber since I got it (they replaced my old motorola modem awhile back)

Also, where should I go since Charter Direct is no longer here? I've been having issues with my connection lately (like always, never had a full year with no issues or even a month)

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

It would help if you told us what kind/model of modem you have first.....
Skero

Skero

Oh I forgot, it's a Cisco DPC3010

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D

MVM

It means that your downstream channel is bonded.

If you need assistance, you'll have to call into the cust assist line.
Skero

Skero

Is this a good thing or no?

dks7
join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA

dks7

Bonding is a damn fine thing, it means more frequency, or bandwidth within the node. My service went from sporadic speeds for a year or so without bonding, to a rock solid unwavering 30mbit/sec when bonding finally hit.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Skero

to Skero
Channel bonding is a definate plus! My D3 modem now flies on the 30/4 plan with 4 channels bonded.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to Skero

Premium Member

to Skero
said by Skero:

Is this a good thing or no?

Will be even better when Charter actually graduates to 8 channel bonding!!

They don't have that any where yet, do they?

Some day they might even have upload channel bonding!

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Skero

to Skero
the new CISCO modems are 8 channel ready. Just the service is only providing 4 now (which seems plenty fast as it is).

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958

Premium Member

Yeah,
I knew 8 channel modems were out. Was wondering if Charter actually had any areas that used it yet? Should've known better than that!

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01 to Skero

to Skero
They no longer follow any hard standard for color=bonded. My DPC3008 shows green on both the US and the DS, even though the DS is bonded, and the US is not. You really need to log into »192.168.100.1 and look at the status to see if it's bonded.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958

Premium Member

I had thought about that as all my lights are green on my Zoom modem also, but we weren't talking about a Zoom, so I didn't want to put my foot to far in my mouth!!
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

whoaru99 to cablegeek01

to cablegeek01
Sure, I think though the point is more about when there is one different color people tend to think there is something wrong, particularly if all others are green.

That could be a reason why some have apparently gone away (or never used) a different color for bonded. Tired of answering a bunch of "This light a different color, what's wrong?" questions.