Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[Cable] RG6 vs RG6/U wiring question.

I am getting whole house DVR through my cable provider and I am wondering what the U in RG6/U is. It is dual shield cable. They also had RG6 Quad-Shield at Home Depot but I got the RG6/U as that was cheaper and I bought it cut to length (needed only 30 feet to complete the job). I rewired one of my cable outlets as a preventive measure as the wire was 24 years old) so I would not have any problems when the installer comes on Thursday.

I would think the U means underground but it does not have that nasty gel that direct burial wire has in it (my cable drop is underground).

I would ask this question in the provider specific forum but it is a more generic wiring question as opposed to being specific to my provider.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

There is effectively no difference between RG6 vs RG6/U other then the 'U'. [Which stands for unbalanced...]. For all practical purposes it is one and the same. Just let the tech who comes out, that it is RG6 and not quad-shield so they can put the correct 'F' connector on.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA

I already terminated the wires, I used T&B Snap N Seal fittings that are universal RG6 and RG6QS.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to AMDUSER

said by AMDUSER:

There is effectively no difference between RG6 vs RG6/U other then the 'U'. [Which stands for unbalanced...]. For all practical purposes it is one and the same. Just let the tech who comes out, that it is RG6 and not quad-shield so they can put the correct 'F' connector on.

Actually I always though the U was outdoor UV/underground rated.
--

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by Hayward:

said by AMDUSER:

Direct burial/underground coax has a gel in it to keep moisture out.

p110011

join:2001-12-29
Oregon City, OR

said by IowaCowboy:

said by Hayward:

said by AMDUSER:

Direct burial/underground coax has a gel in it to keep moisture out.

Yeah, and it sticks to your fingers.
All coax is unbalanced, so that makes no sense.
Looking around on google the U is either Utility, or Universal. Just Marketing.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to IowaCowboy

No difference between RG6 and RG6/U. Quad shield would protect better against RF interference if that's an issue. It tends to be more durable since it's thicker. Once again if that's an issue quad shield might be better.