Search similar:

uniqs
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

2 edits

19579823 (banned)

Digital Clock Without Electricity or Moving Parts

Keep this one in mind for the person that has everything...A solar digital clock!

Theres even a smaller version for your window

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Re: Digital Clock Without Electricity or Moving Parts

In these days of cell phones, even a watch seems mostly irrelevant now.
Expand your moderator at work

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

Trihexagonal5 to 19579823

to 19579823

Then they'll need a solar powered watch with atomic timekeeping.

»www.gshock.com/watches/C ··· 900DA-8V

I have one like this and really like it.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Atomic time keeping? (Does that mean it auto syncs with a time server?)

Trihexagonal5
US

Trihexagonal5

said by 19579823:

Atomic time keeping? (Does that mean it auto syncs with a time server?)

Yes, it syncs with the shortwave radio time calibration signal from the atomic clock in Fort Collins, CO. every night, when the signal propagates best.

I have an atomic wall clock too.

»www.lacrossetechnology.c ··· ndex.php
James_C
join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY

James_C to usa2k

to usa2k

I feel the same about credit card multitools. Never again will I need a real screwdriver, saw, wrench, or can opener.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Given it's costs a sundial does the same and for much less, hell you can build one out of a sheet of cardboard and a bit of tape. If you want something more elaborate there are sundials that give mean time rather than solar time.

Trihexagonal5
US

Trihexagonal5

said by Thane_Bitter:

Given it's costs a sundial does the same and for much less, hell you can build one out of a sheet of cardboard and a bit of tape. If you want something more elaborate there are sundials that give mean time rather than solar time.

The Deluxe model...

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

Click for full size
Here's my pocket sun dial with compass that my lovely bride gave me for Christmas

Trihexagonal5
US

Trihexagonal5

Very nice.
Expand your moderator at work
broccoli
join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
Draytek Vigor2860Vac
EnGenius EAP600
Obihai OBi100

broccoli to Trihexagonal5

to Trihexagonal5

Re:  

said by Trihexagonal5:

Yes, it syncs with the shortwave radio time calibration signal from the atomic clock in Fort Collins, CO. every night, when the signal propagates best.

I am nitpicking, but WWVB carries the atomic time signal these timepieces sync to, on 60 kHz, which is longwave. You might be thinking of its sister stations WWV and WWVH, which indeed do broadcast on shortwave frequencies.

Trihexagonal5
US

Trihexagonal5

said by broccoli:

said by Trihexagonal5:

I am nitpicking, but WWVB carries the atomic time signal these timepieces sync to, on 60 kHz, which is longwave. You might be thinking of its sister stations WWV and WWVH, which indeed do broadcast on shortwave frequencies.

Nitpick away.

I referred to it as a shortwave radio signal, not to the frequency it was transmitted on. The Radio Shack DX-398 shortwave radio has what is considered to be a SW reception range of 50 kHz - 29.999 MHz.
quote:
Frequency Range:

LW, AM, FM, FM Stereo
SW (continuous 50 kHz - 29.999 MHz, AM & SSB/CW modes)
»support.radioshack.com/s ··· 6356.htm

So to make it simple, I referred to it as the shortwave radio time calibration signal so as not to be confused with standard AM radios with a lower range of 530 KHz or FM radio signal.

Before you nitpick me on that :
quote:
At 60 kHz, there isn’t enough room on the signal (bandwidth) to carry a voice or any type of audio information. Instead, all that is sent is a code, which consists of a series of binary digits, or bits, which have only two possible values (0 or 1). These bits are generated at WWVB by raising and lowering the power of the signal. They are sent at a very slow rate of 1 bit per second, and it takes a full minute to send a complete time code, or a message that tells the clock the current date and time. When you turn a radio controlled clock on, it will probably miss the first time code, so it usually takes more than one minute to set itself (sometimes 5 minutes or longer) depending on the signal quality and the receiver design.
»www.nist.gov/pml/div688/ ··· ocks.cfm

I have a Radio Shack DX-394 and a Grundig Mini 300 World Band Receiver.

I'd like to part with the DX-394, it's never been modded. I live in an apartment building and can't string a wire and it's been years since I've listened to it. I won a contest on the Taipei Taiwan shortwave radio station several years ago using the 394 to listen to it though.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

I have a DX-440 and i think thats pretty much the BEST reciever they ever made

Only thing i dont like is ITS OFF FREQUENCY BY 1 (If a station is centered on 1.090Mhz it will show up @ 1.091 on this)