Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

Graphics card folding

I have NO idea how this works. But I hear that graphic cards are head over heals the best at folding.

SOoooooo.

I have a rather cheap Windows PC, (2008ish) that, well. It really sucks at hard work. (I once tried folding, it took two days to accomplish only 100 points.)

However, If I am able to replace the built in graphics card, with another (in an open e-PCI slot) that will be good for folding, I will do it.

Does the graphic card folding still depend on the computer CPU, or is it independent? Ie. Yea, the CPU is slow, but can the folding from a graphics card still deliver?

Pin
Premium
join:2002-06-19
The Dungeon

1 recommendation

AMD/ATI GPU's tends to take at least 1 CPU core for folding. I believe it is for loading the data in the GPU memory.

NVidia GPU's keep the folding mostly on the GPU itself, maybe 1% of the CPU every now and then.

The main thing to keep in mind is your Power Supply, as the GPU's capable of current folding tend to require a high amp rating on the +12V rail of the power supply. Some cards fold just off of PCI-e power and other require auxiliary connections from the power supply. Then there's the heat. GPU's put off some heat when folding. Might need another fan or two for the case.

That being said, with the recent GPU points adjustment and the upcoming QRB for GPU; yes GPU folding looks to be very good right now and in the future. The team eVGA should be proof of that.

The good news is that GPU folding doesn't really care too much about CPU speed ( ATI or NVidia ), it just likes a PCI-e x16 slot. It runs a little slower on PCI-e x8, but not by much.
--
time nor tide wait for no man...

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat

Thanks.

I'm reluctant to think the power supply is adequate.

It is an HP Pavilion a6500f

»h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te···01463058

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

said by Dominokat:

Thanks.

I'm reluctant to think the power supply is adequate.

It is an HP Pavilion a6500f

»h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te···01463058

Unfortunately, I guarantee you that this has a very cheap/minimal power supply

If I were planning on upping the video card in order to fold with it, I woulod absolutely look at beefing up the PSU.

There are plenty of mid to lower cost power supplies that should do the job. The power supply that you have is only rated at 250 watts...but worse than that, it probably has minimal cooling, inadequate rails, etc.

Here is an example of a low-cost upgrade that would be more than adequate:

»www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShoc···172012_1
--
Deeds, not words

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

Thank you PeteC2 See Profile for the information!

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Dominokat

So can I tack on an additional question here? Is it possible to use a different graphic card gpu for the folding other than the main one for your display?

The main reason I have quit folding again is that I am using my workstation a lot right now and have found that if I have the GPU folding, it almost make the PC unusable. Would be nice to have to graphic cards where one folds and the other is used for normal display functions.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6

That I am not sure of. Maybe someone else here can answer that.
--
Deeds, not words

Pin
Premium
The Dungeon
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

Is it possible to use a different graphic card gpu for the folding other than the main one for your display?

Yes, I am doing it right now. ATI 5700 ( slow by today's GPU folding standards ) drives my display while NVidia GTX 570 folds WU.

Use a v7 client and let it configure both GPU slots, then set the card you don't want folding to pause-on-start.
--

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to PeteC2

said by PeteC2:

Here is an example of a low-cost upgrade that would be more than adequate:

»www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShoc···172012_1

That's A LOT of watts!

Are power supplies interchangeable with cases? Or will I have to install and modify to put a new one into this case?

Pin
Premium
The Dungeon

That link took me to a watch.

You need to pick a video card before picking the power supply.
The Amp rating on the 12v rail of the power supply is usually a spec listed on the video card.

But in general, if you have an ATX case; an ATX power supply will fit.
--

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Pin

Thank you.

Again, sorry to hijack the thread..

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by ropeguru:

Thank you.

Again, sorry to hijack the thread..

Don't worry about it! It was a good question.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

Domino:

Amps/Amperes is the measure of current flowing and if you mulitply its number times the voltage (think of voltage kinda like pressure), you get watts.

I only tell you this as it might help you in selecting a SMPS/Power supply.

SMPSs convert house current, which is an alternating wave, to a flat Direct Current (non, sorta) waveform. And the SMPSs convert that AC to a few different voltages, one of which is 12 Volts DC, which is what the video cards use via a special molex connector we call a PEG connector (PCI Express Graphics), which comes in either a 6 pin, an 8 pin, or one of each or two of either. Cards that use the 8 pin and so forth require more amperes.

When choosing a video card, we make note of what PEG connectors are on it, and get a SMPS with such connectors with an adequate amps rating for the 12VDC leg. We go by wattage is a general idea and then choose from a list of them once we narrow things down.

Now, cheaper low cost no name also ran power supplies claim ratings of a given wattage, but often they can't live up to those claims. And the hotter they get, the less efficient they are and use more power to do the conversion to DC.

For example, looking at the photos, this card uses only a single 6 pin PEG connector:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14130625

So this SMPS would work:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17371004

Provided it has the other connectors your mainboard needs (ATX/EPS) (20/24 pin header) (any others, rare).

I am using a GTS 450 (now not so available) for my folding video card. I like that is is efficient electrically but gets a decent amount of work done, and will play some games fairly well.

I suggest an nVidia based graphics card because ATI/AMD drivers just still ain't as good IMHO. Get a 500 series card, something around 150 dollars or less maybe, and that power supply or another of similar power with the right connectors....
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Pin
Premium
The Dungeon

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

Usually Newegg does a better job of listing specs on their video cards, but working from signmeuptoo See Profile's specs.

That card would need the following minimum power supply:
Requirements
Minimum of a 400 power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amps.)
One available 6-pin PCI-E power dongle

Found the specs on Fry's site:
»www.frys.com/product/6553063#specs

And at a little better price if there is a store in your area.
--

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to signmeuptoo

Thanks signmeuptoo See Profile

Very good information!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

There's a small hump to climb over to understand home building of desktops, but it IS a SMALL hump. Feel free to PM me if you need to, while there are plenty of folks smarter than me, I've built a dozen systems (or maybe 2 dozen, can't possibly remember...) so that, and the fact that I've learned patience doing it, and how to convey ideas, I might be able to help, at least I can try...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to Dominokat

Up until abput 2003 I used to build my own home computers because it was cheaper. Although I did like choosing my parts, it became cheaper to just buy whole systems.

Then in 2008, I went Apple. They are expensive, but to my knowledge, you can't build an Apple computer from NewEgg parts.

Edit add: Money is incredibly tight (More like non-existant) right now. I realized I "may" have a PSU in my attic space from some parts I kept when I built my own PCs. I'll have to investigate. (i.e.: haul everything out of the crawl space until I find it.) If I do have one, and it fits this case. All I need is the video card and I'll be back folding again.

Edit add 2: Damn, I forgot about cooling fans.......

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to Dominokat

I upgraded video cards myself months back. Won't be doing any other upgrades any time soon, though still job hunting for better job, but there are limits to what I can do workwise. Gonna be shooting for a little more than what I earn now so I CAN afford food and computers...

i'd like to build a decent i5k processor and a middle range mainboard with SSD and another high capacity HD. My SMPS is good, but not efficient, so I want a 80+ Gold or better SMPS. That rating means that the SMPS is a certain percentage efficient, inducating that less power is wasted in heat and more into good conversion.
--

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Dominokat

Pin See Profile said NVidia cards don't use but maybe 1% of CPU. Considering my computer configuration, thats a good thing.

HOWEVER, even installing that GPU, or any other, looks like it is going to require a Power Supply upgrade, no matter what.

I am very concerned about airflow and cooling, at this point. The case is enclosed, except for the fan from the
PSU.

In a nutshell, I am wondering if all the modifications I have to make to this computer, are worth it.

Would it be better and cheaper to find another unit?

Pin
Premium
The Dungeon

The current GPU's typically have a fan in the shrouded card and vent most of their heat out the back of the pci(e) slot plate. There is a good chance the HP has a place for a front fan as they sometimes leave a gap between the front bezel and the steel frame for pulling up air from the bottom. $5 to $10 fan.

Even if that is not the case, then you can look into pci slot fans. It looks like a pci card and pulls it's power from the pci slot, but it's just a fan that vents air out the back of the pci bracket like the current video cards.

Worst case, pull out the Black and Decker and make some holes.
--

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

I'd drill holes all over this case, if it works.