how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

Is 25/25 enough?

I have a 25/25 connection. I am curious if I use all my internet devices at the same time, if this will result in a big slowdown in connection speed.

Lets say I use simultaneously
1. My two Roku boxes watching two separate HD movies
2. 2 laptops, a tablet and a desktop watching a HD movie or video
3. Use the wifi on my phone to watch an online HD video
4. Watch two separate HD movies using VOD.

Will things slow to a crawl if I do all of the above simultaneously on a 25/25 connection?

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1

If you are talking about netflix I am not sure what are the bit rates of their videos what you could do is download netmeter and see how much speed a HD video on netflix takes that how I know how much speed I need.

I am on 75/35 though

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
reply to navyson

Wow still on one of the original plans huh? I've upgraded to 35/35 and now to 75/35 since I was originally on 25/25.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
reply to navyson

Only one way to find out, you can always upgrade later.

HD Netflix streams at about 10mbps but only in short bursts with intervals of up to a minute. It doesn't play at a constant stream.

That may allow you to play all the devices at once since it's short bursts.

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to navyson

said by navyson:

I have a 25/25 connection. I am curious if I use all my internet devices at the same time, if this will result in a big slowdown in connection speed.

Lets say I use simultaneously
1. My two Roku boxes watching two separate HD movies
2. 2 laptops, a tablet and a desktop watching a HD movie or video
3. Use the wifi on my phone to watch an online HD video
4. Watch two separate HD movies using VOD.

Will things slow to a crawl if I do all of the above simultaneously on a 25/25 connection?

i don't know what would happen with 1 thru 4 fully engaged at the same time but we still have the 25/25 and use two Netflix devices simultaneously ALL the time, one of the Roku boxes is WiFi. We have two desktops (one of which is always on) and a laptop that share our connection. As long as we could stay at the lower rate I'm fine with it. We had VZ DSL for 7 years and DUN prior Fios so 25/25 isn't too hard to take.

eival

join:2008-07-09

considering that 99% of streaming services use the adaptive streaming crapanalysis, theres really no amount of overhead that will make them stream without issue. let alone 6 devices all streaming with the same type of process

your available speeds will be 99% consistent 24/7, but those services constantly testing your connection, is up to the horribly developed "adaptive" process

i guarantee you'd have a ridiculous fluctuation in quality the entire time if all those devices tried to stream at once, and 1 or 2 being stuck with the lowest quaility the entire time and probably 1 device getting the max hd and theres no way to fix it unless you set up very strict bandwidth limits/caps for each device, good luck doing that with the Fios GUI's non user-friendly wording/menus, unless you have a 3rd party router with those same capabilities that you're knowledgeable with