how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

should i switch from comcast for apple gift card

Is it worth switching from comcast for the $450 apple gift card? I live near wheeling,wv if that matters.

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12

Are you having problems with Comcast?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

no besides the price being $200 a month. But the $450 gift card is tempting. Just don't want to regret it 6 months from now.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to mikedz4

I assume it would come with an contract, and etf. I'm guessing that it's only dsl so the speeds would be generally lower if that would bother you. If you like streaming videos/netflix/etc you might want to pass.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

yeah. They don't offer even 20 mbps here just 7mbps. But I am tired of comcast's prices. Unless I can get comcast to match prices I might have to bite on the gift card.
How are speeds and service in the northern panhandle?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

You can read recent reviews, and sort them out by zip code on this website. »/reviews

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

nothing from frontier for my city. Found fios somehow though we've never had it.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Their dsl is under the same name as this forum, the form has an autocomplete as long as you have scripting enabled.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

ok nothing recent. The most recent is a year ago and it is for morgantown 2 hours away.

jenni4um

join:2012-12-10
Henrietta, NY
reply to mikedz4

I switched from Time Warner to Frontier a while ago. The speed did drop a little but the service is better. When i call in for an issue i get to talk to a human not a computer voice asking questions about modem lights on a modem that i dont have. I have also never had to sit on the phone for an hour waiting to talk to a Frontier tech.
And the price is comparable to the service, I no longer feel like i am over paying.
I wish Frontier was giving out that gift card when i joined i would jump on an apple gift card....ipad...ipod....itunes........
sorry i started to ramble there for a second.
Anywho- if you arent happy with your current provider then maybe its time for you to try something else, but i am biased because i am a huge frontier fan. Ultimately its up to you...

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

but when will my area upgrade to 20mbps? Currently I can ONLY get 7mbps.

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to mikedz4

Even when they start offering the 24/25 MB plan that does not mean that you will get that much speed most of the time. I only get 2-8 MB most of the time. The upload speed has been a bit higher though. I used to have 600 kb upload and now have 1.8 MB upload. I might as well stick with the 12 MB plan. The upload speed is the same on both the 12 and 24 MB plans in my area. Only around noon and after 1 or 2 am do I get towards 15-20 MB. I think there is too much congestion. Could be local congestion.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

I thought the commercial for verizon used to say that dsl isn't shared like cable is? That dsl doesn't slow down during peak periods like cable does?

Bonka

join:2002-12-05
Tamaqua, PA

DSL isn't supposed to slow down during peak, and the DSL probably isn't. The issue is usually once you hit the CO and onward. That is my issue currently. Line runs great from here to CO, but the next hop after the CO I start getting packet loss during peak hours. If the fiber connections throughout their network are maxed out, your DSL is going to slow down during prime time.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
reply to mikedz4

My recommendation is stay with your current provider, the grass is not necessarily greener in the Frontier pasture. Just read a few threads in this forum and you will see what I am talking about.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

so i guess there are problems in west virginia. My current provider is charging me $200 a month plus they don't offer a gift card. I could use the gift card for an ipad or ipad mini.

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12

Call Comcast and tell them you are cancelling to go with Frontier.
They will probably send you to retentions and then you will get your deal.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to Hank

I also heard that verizon left west virginia in shambles neglecting the state in the last few years and frontier is bascially rebuilding the whole state to bring it up to date. Don't know how true that is though.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

That is the propaganda from Frontier. I am a legacy Frontier customer and I could easily say the same for them. Part of the buy out agreement with the state and the FCC was that Frontier would make improvements to the network that they purchased from Verizon, it did not address the legacy Frontier network. In the rural areas of West Virginia the networks are customarily poor no matter who the carrier is.

Expand your moderator at work

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Re: should i switch from comcast for apple gift card

Is it normal for two people to tell me different things?
Friday guy on the phone tells me they can waive deposit but need $25 for dish. Didn't ask about gift card
Today lady tells me that they can't waive deposit and no gift card/
Who is right and should I try again tomorrow morning?