spc
uniqs
Rastan
join:2007-04-25
Canada

Rastan to buttaknife

to buttaknife

Re: Discussion about log retention

I was trying to illustrate how ridiculous copyright laws are. Copyright trolls are trying to stretch the laws as far as they can, by trying to extort money from people who may have only uploaded a few bits of data out a 1GB+ file.

Therefore, if in your mind, the following argument is valid:
quote:
You don't like the law then get the law changed.........until then, you break the law and you pay the price.

Then I say, in that case, using a copyrighted avatar in a public forum should also be considered copyright infringement since you are "making it available" to the public. But hey, if you don't like the law, get it changed. Until then, if you break the law then you pay the price.

edit: One more thing; copyright infringement is not stealing. When you download a file, the person you are downloading it from still has their file. When stealing takes place, someone loses the item that was stolen. If you're unable to differentiate between stealing and copyright infringement you shouldn't be debating this issue.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

said by Rastan:

Then I say, in that case, using a copyrighted avatar in a public forum should also be considered copyright infringement since you are "making it available" to the public.

I know what you're saying. Tell it to the Prime Minister. He wrote the law not me. Downloading isn't the issue. It's DISTRIBUTION. Personal use is an INTENT issue. If somebody downloads content that is publicly accessible and uses it for a purpose OTHER than personal use only then and only then is it ILLEGAL in Canada.

My Avatar is attached to my PERSONAL account for my PRIVATE use only. Any 3rd party use of my Avatar has not been sanctioned by me therefore it would be deemed outside the scope of my Intended Personal Use.

Downloading a copyrighted CD or DVD for personal use only is perfectly legal in Canada as long as you make no more than 1 copy for backup and distribute it, in whole or in part, to no one period. TORRENTS do not work that way. Your INTENT may be legal but IMHO the process to aquire that content, by it's very nature, contravenes Canadian law. It's splitting hairs but that's the way it is.

Good nite folks..............
UK_Dave
join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON

1 edit

UK_Dave

Downloading a copyrighted CD or DVD for personal use only is perfectly legal in Canada as long as you make no more than 1 copy for backup and distribute it, in whole or in part, to no one period. TORRENTS do not work that way. Your INTENT may be legal but the process to aquire that content, by it's very nature, contravenes Canadian law. It's splitting hairs but that's the way it is.
-------------------------

So are you saying you are perfectly happy with people downloading copyright material from, say, USENET? Even if the author of the work disagrees?

--------
"Good nite folks.............."
---------

At least it wasn't "Th Th Th Th Th That's all folks...."

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to elitefx

Premium Member

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

My Avatar is attached to my PERSONAL account for my PRIVATE use only. Any 3rd party use of my Avatar has not been sanctioned by me therefore it would be deemed outside the scope of my Intended Personal Use.

Good thoughts, but you redistribute it every time you make a post here. Might be different if you had downloaded it for a screen saver on your own machine. Although, I think Daffy Duck is trademarked, which may (or may not) have different rules. You might be required to get express consent to use it....