spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MrKenmore
join:2005-06-23
Kings Park, NY

MrKenmore

[FiOS Phone] Verizon Digital Voice

So I finally signed on to the FiOS triple bundle which includes Digital Voice. I also have Viatalk as another VOIP service which I have had for many years, The call quality was questionable for the folks on the other end of the line. I could hear people OK, but the other end was too unreliable. I also had problems when I would pick up the phone, it wouldn't connect. So I decided to give Digital Voice a shot. I did not port my number and got a new number. Right away I was bombarded with telemarketing calls. About three a day. Viatalk didn't have one telemarketing call. The call quality is certainly very good with Verizon. I wish the ONT would push out a more powerful ring voltage. I have some old phones that used to ring real loud with Viatalk but now I had to go down to one phone with an active ringer. Of course you want a phone for good call quality which Verizon delivers but I do miss the features of Viatalk!!! They had distinctive ring which was nice. The thing that really bugs me about Verizon is that they let you forward your voicemail files to your email. However, whatever codec/encryption they use can't be opened on an iPad or iPhone!!!! That is a major fail. Anyone know how to get the file to play? It's a .wav so I don't know what the problem is.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Sorry, couldn't read your whole message...put some paragraph breaks in there.

But, I have no problems opening Vz Digital Voice voicemail attachments on my iPhone and iPad.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

birdfeedr

MVM

To paraphrase the OP:

I now have Digital Voice as part of a triple play. Used to have ViaTalk VoIP, but the call quality was questionable at times, so I decided to switch.

Gripe 1: Immediately bombarded with telemarketing calls. I never had that with Viatalk.
Gripe 2: Ring voltage from the ONT is weak and doesn't work so well with legacy phones.
Gripe 3: There were more Viatalk features included in the package, including distinctive ring. Not available with Digital Voice. They will only provide an extra line.
Gripe 4: Although I do like the send voicemail to email, the so-called .wav files don't open on iPad or iPhone.

Question 1: How do I get the emailed .wav file to play?

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

The emailed wav files play fine on my iPhone and iPad.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to MrKenmore

to MrKenmore
The one DV feature that is ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC...

Is blocking of "up to 10" numbers.

Seriously VZ - that is ridiculous.

I'll be going double play and keeping my VoicePulse account because of that. VP is far from perfect, but they have good CS and they seem to let you block an unlimited number.

I really wish VZ would fix this as I imagine their DV product is superior to most in terms of call quality.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by JackBauer:

The one DV feature that is ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC...

Is blocking of "up to 10" numbers.

Agreed. That there is any blocking by number permitted is a plus over Freedom Essentials, however 10 is not adequate.

Card Services robocalls has at least 5 numbers that they call from. When one is blocked, they call from another.

Expensive, but an excellent solution is Digitone Call Blocker which can block up to 80, less if you enable wild-card blocking. There's chinese knockoffs available too. Digitone recognizes malformed caller ids and blocks them by default, so there's plenty which are blocked but not specifically listed by number.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

I actually wouldn't mind having FE - just would turn the ringer off and use it only for outgoing calls, keeping my VOIP for incoming.

But I'd never get DV as a replacement for VP with it's currently (horrible) limitation of 10 blocks.