share rss forum feed

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
kudos:5

[mail] Can't get mail via Gmail

I have had my DSLR account set to be checked through my on-line Gmail account. It has worked for years. The past few days it is not working. Error message :

SSL Security Error.
Server returned error "SSL error: certificate has expired"

I do not have a email client set up on any of my computers, therefore I depend on the DSLR to Gmail interface.
--
Team Discovery

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Re: Can't get mail via Gmail

I just checked mail:

"fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: certificate has expired"

In my case it still works, because I did not tell "fetchmail" to verify the certificate. (I'm using APOP authentication, so I don't really need a secure connection).

In any case, gmail is correct - the certificate has expired.

1: Can somebody at dslr provide a new certificate;
2: If using a locally signed certificate, can the signing CA certificate be made available somewhere so that we can download and locally install.

Thanks.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 17.0

nil
Java Geek
join:2000-11-27
kudos:2
reply to marti
I generated a new certificate, try again.

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
Houston, TX
Thanks nil, but I still get the same error message.
--
Team Discovery

nil
Java Geek
Unfortunately, it appears that, without any warning, google changed its policy on self-signed certificates. I'll see if we can get a non-self signed one for mail, but in the meantime, this change means the only way to get email via gmail from us is to not use ssl.

»productforums.google.com/forum/#···scussion

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to nil
said by nil:

I generated a new certificate, try again.

Thanks. It is no longer reported as expired, though it is reported as self-signed (which is not a problem for me).
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 17.0

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
Houston, TX
reply to marti
nil,

I fixed it: removed SSL requirement and changed server from 995 to 110. Good enough for now.
--
Team Discovery

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
This is where google might be making a mistake.

Using port 995 with a self-signed certificate is more secure than using port 110.
--

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
Houston, TX
Yes, but it was the only way I can get my DSLR mail!
--
Team Discovery

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by marti:

Yes, but it was the only way I can get my DSLR mail!

I was not criticizing you.

Google seems to be saying that because self-signed certificates are not completely safe, they will force users to do something even more unsafe.

I'm not a gmail user. You might check if they at least use APOP authentication, which is safer than a plain text authentication.
--

nil
Java Geek
Agreed, I think it's a stupid decision. If a user trusts the certificate, it should be good enough for google.

saradon

join:2001-03-29
Bethesda, MD
Reviews:
·MegaPath

3 edits
reply to marti
I was having the same difficulty retrieving DSLR mail from with zoho mail (mail.zoho.com). I switched to zoho a while back when I perceived that Google started behaving in, IMHO, a less-than-benevolant manner. I wrote zoho a comment about it, and they now appear to have fixed it and I am now able to retrieve my DSLR mail using SSL/995. This really helps as I really didn't want my DSLR password being transmitted in clear text around the Internet.

So there's one place you could aggregate your mail including DSLR, if you like zoho's interface -- less minimalist than Google, and more (again, IMHO) like DSLR in that features are shown not deliberately obscured, which I like.

I've been using zoho for a while now, and could answer some questions about it if anyone's interested. (There's a whole office suite there too, BTW, and I have not used all of it, or even most of it - it's pretty extensive and there's more than just mail and a word processor.)

Hope this is helpful.