spc
uniqs
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

1 recommendation

serge87 to navyson

to navyson

Re: FIOS internet - how much faster can FIOS get?

Just a F.Y.I: Not everyone who gets the 150 or 300Mbit speed plans torrents or uses their connections illegally

said by cramer:

Bottom line... most cable operators have been increasing their upstream rates because they have to. The very low upstream speed inhibits faster downstream speeds. (TCP ACK traffic is not zero.) In the real world (where there's more than one tcp connection), 384k up begins to be a problem around 10M down.

Good point. In my experience, TCP ACK traffic is roughly 6-8% of total download bandwidth being used so your analogy is spot on
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver

Premium Member

said by serge87:

Good point. In my experience, TCP ACK traffic is roughly 6-8% of total download bandwidth being used so your analogy is spot on

I have not analyzed TCP/IP in detail but I have analyzed various high capacity dedicated and networked disk systems. In all cases, the speed that an ACK/NACK can be returned is critical to overall performance. It typically has to with queuing up of requests. I have always imagined that TCP/IP has the same issue and the asymmetrical network speeds limit the effective download throughput because of delays in ACKs and NACKs.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by OwlSaver:

I have not analyzed TCP/IP in detail but I have analyzed various high capacity dedicated and networked disk systems. In all cases, the speed that an ACK/NACK can be returned is critical to overall performance. It typically has to with queuing up of requests. I have always imagined that TCP/IP has the same issue and the asymmetrical network speeds limit the effective download throughput because of delays in ACKs and NACKs.

Owl, guess U have never worked in a development team....Your synopsis reminds of 1940/41 when people did not think that U235 was fissionable.....

Yes I went overboard with the analogy but just pointing out where U stand ....