how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01

[iPad] Watching random movies on ipad 3

I am looking at possible getting ipad 3 but I do have few question which i was unable to find answers to. 1) I have first generation Ipad and are able to listen to audio book and watch random video's. Can i do same thing on ipad 3? Someone told me I can only watch movies and listen to audio book if I download it from iturnes. Can someone here that own's ipad 3 confirm which is correct? Also is the format for original ipad and ipad 3 the same?

TIA.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
No difference between iPad 3 and original iPad in functionality. If the movie is imported (dragged) into iTunes or audiobook is imported into iTunes, you can sync it to iPad. I rip and import Blu-Rays I get on sale at Walmart or Fry's into iTunes all the time. I did it with my original iPad, iPad 3 and now iPad 4. The caveat is the movie and audio have to be ripped or converted to an iTunes compatible format. You can't rip a movie to MKV or audio to FLAC and drag it into iTunes. So when I rip a movie I do it to .MP4 from the outset.

silentlooker
Premium
So say I download a movie from youtube for example and convert it in to .mp4 i can just import it in to itune and it will work? Is the audio book the same way?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
Yeah. You can drag and drop the MP4 into the movies section of iTunes and it will be the list of sync-able items along with anything bought from the iTunes store. Audiobooks are the same way. If you have a bunch of MP3's that are the chapters of the book, you can create an empty playlist that is the title of the book. Then just drag the MP3s directly into that playlist in iTunes. It will import the files into iTunes while also adding them to that playlist.

interlync

join:2002-07-30
Chicago, IL
reply to silentlooker
You may also want to take a look at apps like StreamToMe. Allow you to stream the content on your computer, content that is not stored in iTunes as well.

Has a great interface and very fast.

silentlooker
Premium
said by interlync:

You may also want to take a look at apps like StreamToMe. Allow you to stream the content on your computer, content that is not stored in iTunes as well.

Has a great interface and very fast.

I take a lot of business trips so basically looking to use it mainly on airplane. However thanks for suggestion I will take a look. Just wanted to make sure before i spend $600 that I can use the product as before.

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to skeechan
Been thinking of getting either an iPad mini or Retina display.
On my 27" iMac (circa 2010) I can drag audios or videos of any format directly onto the VLC icon and play them, bypassing iTunes altogether.

Would I be able to do that with an iPad?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

1 recommendation

Not unless it is JB-d. You need iTunes as the sync utility.