uniqs
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Lurch77

to Lurch77

Re: Fill it with regular or jet fuel?

I was alive and buying gas in 1975, so I know what happened.
quote:
1972 — Feb 22 — EPA announces that all gasoline stations will be required to carry “non-leaded” gasoline in the future to protect catalytic converters (which reduce other auto exhausts such as carbon monoxide). EPA asked the Dept. of Health Education and Welfare (HEW) “to provide a health basis for the planned reduction…” But HEW “informed EPA that they could not support the reduciton of lead in gasoline for reasons of adverse health effects since no medical or scientific data were available to indicate that it was a hazard to health.” EPA delays setting standards until 1973, then is sued by Ethyl Corp.

1974 — May 7 – 8 — Hearings before the Panel on Environmental Science and Technology of the Subcommittee on Environmental Pollution of the Committee on Public Works. Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del) calls for “a panel of medical scientists having expertise in the field” to perform a literature review, but concludes: “In my opinion, lead from auto emissions does not constitute a public health hazard.”

»66.147.244.135/~enviror4 ··· imeline/
Note that unleaded gasoline was banned (to protect catalytic converters) before it was proven that lead in auto emissions was bad.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

1 recommendation

Lurch77

Premium Member

We'll just have to disagree then. You were alive and buying leaded gasoline, so I can understand your IQ being dropped a bit. I'm just kidding, hope you can take a joke.

I've provided a link with source stating the environmental reasons for phasing it out. Here is more. But we've gotten too far off topic now. You can disgree with me, and I'll leave it at that.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ga ··· thyllead