Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

OEM brake rotor specifications ?

I just bought a car from a neighbor, it's a 2003 Lincoln Town Car with 79K, but I had to get it inspected before DMV would issue tags. The inspection station said the rear brake rotors where a 'little thin' and I told them to replace them and put the old parts in a box so I could look at them later.

Anyway when I check them out, I find that they have 5mm left before they reach the wear limit and the pads look to have about 30K/40K left before needing replacement.

In order to arm myself with information before I talk to the mechanic about this, I need to know the new OEM specified rotor thickness for this vehicle.

Does anybody have an idea where I might find such info, Google gives me a Bazillion hits on the subject.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Minimum thickness is usually cast right into the rotor somewhere. Are your rotors too rusted to read the numbers?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

I already know the minimum thickness, it's 13mm, these replaced ones mic out at 18.3xxmm.

What I'm looking for is the original new thickness as delivered from the factory.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Coma

MVM

to Coma
said by Coma:

I just bought a car from a neighbor, it's a 2003 Lincoln Town Car with 79K, but I had to get it inspected before DMV would issue tags. The inspection station said the rear brake rotors where a 'little thin' and I told them to replace them and put the old parts in a box so I could look at them later.

Anyway when I check them out, I find that they have 5mm left before they reach the wear limit and the pads look to have about 30K/40K left before needing replacement.

5mm? You sure about that? According to here, OE minimum thickness is .472" and with this particular part, the original thickness was .548". That's .076" or 1.93mm. The actual OE part may have been slightly thicker or thinner, but not by THAT much.

Regardless, you were likely were taken and upsold for a repair that you didn't need. In the future, unless you're having a complete brake job performed, or are experiencing specific problems with your brakes (and "warped" rotors don't count) rotors generally don't need replaced, especially because they were "a little thin".

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to Coma

to Coma
At not even 80k I'm surprised it would even need rear pads. The rear rotors typically last well over 120k miles.

Sites like AutoZone will tell you the exact thickness of their new rotors but I don't know of a source for OEM part information with that much detail.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

I voiced my concern to the owner and I am about to take the rotors back to him for a reevaluation.

I thank everybody for their help and will report back with the outcome.
Coma

1 recommendation

Coma

Premium Member

said by Coma:

I thank everybody for their help and will report back with the outcome.

The issue was apparently poor lighting and my 68 year old eyes, I mistakenly interpreted an '8' for a '3' which screwed up my math.

All is good and the brakes are ready for a road trip early next year.