spc
Search similar:

uniqs

disconnectin
@shawcable.net

disconnectin

Anon

lease expires every hour

for some reason my lease expires every hour and kicks me offline for a few seconds which is a big problem with my gaming... i have called shaw a few times about it and they just get me to type something in command prompt that works for like 3 hours then it starts leasing every hour again... does anyone know why this would be happening or what i can say to shaw support for them to understand the issue more?
AnonShawUser
join:2006-06-17
Calgary, AB

AnonShawUser

If you're plugged straight into your modem and it's renewing your lease every few hours, that's because they are planning major network maintenance in your area. If you're plugged into your own router and it's renewing your lease every hour, log into your router page and fix it yourself by changing the lease timeout period.

disconnectin
@shawcable.net

disconnectin

Anon

ya im connected to my modem but its been happening for about 3-4 days now... there was an "upgrade" in the city(winnipeg) apparently last night though

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Perhaps this should be reprhased,

Do you have one of the modem/router combo modems? Or the Surfboard SB51xx modems?

The cisco modem defaults to 60 minutes in the router configuration. A firmware update was done on these modems as well in the past week.

If you are using the Motorola modem, then yes, Shaw is likely doing maintenance, node-split for example, and a lot of IPs will be renumbered, so a shorter lease time is done, usually a week in advance.

-Posted from my phone.

disconnectin
@shawcable.net

disconnectin

Anon

ya i have the modem/routher combo modem... it just started doing this which is the weird part of its osmething in the configuration.. how would i go about changing it?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Shaw did a firmware update in the past week, which may be what started it, but there have been a number of cases where increasing the DHCP lease time stopped wireless disconnects in the past with the Cisco modem anyways.

login to the router by going to »192.168.0.1 login cusadmin password should be on a sticker, also the serial number

I don't remember where the lease time option is, but I'll see if I can find it when I get back home - laptop battery dying...

fan13027
join:2008-10-26
Kelowna, BC

fan13027 to disconnectin

to disconnectin
Click for full size

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Thank you @fan13027
adiabatic
join:2009-01-24
Victoria, BC

adiabatic to disconnectin

to disconnectin
That is the internal LAN DHCP lease time for the router. I think OP wants the external lease time which is found on the Status page.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Don't know...

The OP said it is the modem/router combo unit, and hasn't come back with anything yet, so if the OP doesn't know if his modem is bridged or not, we are thinking it isn't.