Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jkoblovsky

join:2011-09-27
Keswick, ON
kudos:2
reply to UK_Dave

Re: Why we are not opposing motion on Monday.

Dave:

A very good lecture on a possible value chain for shared video was done in 2007 to TV execs and is posted on Youtube:

With emphasis:

Part 1:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxCoCTc3T5Q

Part 2:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIqG7WgqQ-w

Part 3:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XftaEUYLz4

Same can and should be done for Movies. I do have extensive research on this, just withholding right now until I can compile all of it into a paper.
--
My Canadian Tech Podcast: »canadiantechnetwork.podbean.com/
My Self Help and Digital Policy Blog: »jkoblovsky.wordpress.com/

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

Sure thing, JK.

I think I'm coming across as pedantic now -and I'm trying not to be.

But those are about "Here's a new business model you might want to use, and why you might want to."

The rights owner might say "I don't want a new business model, thank you. I'll use it if it makes me more money, but right now I don't see that."

Could we possibly say that pirating is an attempt to "force" change via *market dynamics? We force them to adopt by making any other business model unprofitable?

Thanks for indulging me.

Dave

EDIT. *Removed the word "illegal".

jkoblovsky

join:2011-09-27
Keswick, ON

2 edits

said by UK_Dave:

Sure thing, JK.

Could we possibly say that pirating is an attempt to "force" change via *market dynamics? We force them to adopt by making any other business model unprofitable?

Thanks for indulging me.

Dave

EDIT. *Removed the word "illegal".

It's not an attempt to force change, it is forcing change. The market dynamics of this are pretty much inevitable and that's showing up in a large portion of the actual numbers and economics of this. I've come to a conclusion that a lot of the reasons why there is such a push back from the inevitable is due to the loss of market share from incompetents to competitors. That's pretty much what this is all boils down too.

What's hurting creators pocket books is not piracy, but the protectionist behaviors of a few incumbents that pretty much are unsuccessfully trying to push back a more profitable scheme because they will lose control they once had. Creators, consumers and politicians often only get a very small piece of the pie from incumbents for a reason. But increasingly those looking upon the economics of the situation are looking at the much broader picture and the whole pie, rather than a slice, and there's significant economic evidence in the numbers to prove what I've just mentioned beyond a reasonable doubt in court. There's a ton of evidence now. This has been going on for over a decade.

This is also a reason why we are seeing "copyright trolling" They have already lost the economic evidence part of this. There's absolutely no evidence to prove that non-commercial infringement is causing any economic harm. What is, is the protectionist behaviors of the copyright lobby due to it's own agendas. That's pretty much widely accepted, and from the wording of the new legislation our Government pretty much agrees with that.

For political reasons we can't completely legalize it, but we can make it pretty much impossible for the copyright lobby to do anything but troll consumers. This is one of the main reasons why I left Geist's Fair Copyright For Canada group. I was the head of a local chapter, and strongly opposed a notice to notice approach due to specifically what TSI customers are dealing with now. We should have just legalized non-commercial infringement, since any argument against legalization wouldn't stand up to even the basic economic evidentiary thresh hold in court.
--
My Canadian Tech Podcast: »canadiantechnetwork.podbean.com/
My Self Help and Digital Policy Blog: »jkoblovsky.wordpress.com/