MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to urbanriot

MVM

to urbanriot

Re: What happend to 2.88MB Floppy Disk's

said by urbanriot:

Right! And they released the notorious Sparq! If you owned a Sparq and had a few cartridges that worked, you should never, ever buy another cartridge or use someone else's as there were many bad disks that would break drives and the company was terrible for replacing them under warranty. Basically you buy the drive, buy 5 cartridges, cross your fingers and if they all work and the drive continues to work, that's it, use that combination forever.

I had my internal SyQuest SparQ drive replaced once under warranty which I recall being fairly easy. I only bought about 3 cartridges.

Were you referring to warranty replacements of the SparQ drive or the cartridges?

The cartridges were OK for the most part. I did have one that had some bad sectors but was able to work around it,…

Its funny how such things like Floppy drives, Zip drives, Jazz drives and SparQ drives just sort of fall into disuse without note.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

I had my internal SyQuest SparQ drive replaced once under warranty which I recall being fairly easy. I only bought about 3 cartridges.

Were you referring to warranty replacements of the SparQ drive or the cartridges?

Both, but mainly the drives. You probably lucked out and had yours replaced before they had so many issues. I had plenty of clients at the time who loved their SparQ drives but were SOL when they broke despite the drives still having warranty.