MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to PhoenixDown

MVM

to PhoenixDown

Re: Furnace -- missing water

said by PhoenixDown:

I don't keep the auto-fill on (never have) so I just fill 'er up once or twice day as needed.

I've always lived with a gas forced air system, so hydronic and steam systems are a bit foreign. But aren't both of those sealed systems, meaning that you shouldn't have to add any water on a regular basis, let alone once or twice a day?

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

Single-pipe steam is not sealed. As the heated steam rises, it pushes air out through the system via vent valves located at each radiator.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by whizkid3:

Single-pipe steam is not sealed. As the heated steam rises, it pushes air out through the system via vent valves located at each radiator.

Thanks. I guess I thought steam just eventually rose, condensed, and ran back down. Probably works a little faster if the room temperature air can just be pushed out instead.

bbrcat
Remembering Lisa...
MVM
join:2000-12-09
FL
·Comcast XFINITY
ARRIS SBG900

bbrcat to whizkid3

MVM

to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

...and too much venting will/may lead to drop in water level and knocking in the system.