IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Or just rebrand Linksys as Cisco

They should just rebrand Linksys as Cisco. It's not like Linksys routers are junk, they make great routers. Personally I prefer Apple AirPort Extreme routers but Linksys routers are good also.

Maybe it's the cable companies pushing their junky gateways that are nothing more than pure junk. I would rather have my Apple AirPort Extreme Router and a basic modem.

Sebehk
USN Retired, 1993-2013, yvan eht nioj
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO

Sebehk

Premium Member

I second on the Apple AirPort Extreme. Don't get me wrong…I owned several Linksys routers in the past (before Cisco buyout); they were awesome routers and they were very customizable, especially with third-party firmware.
--->Robert
8-)

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

They should just rebrand Linksys as Cisco. It's not like Linksys routers are junk, they make great routers.

They have already rebranded them as "Linksys by Cisco". I think the issue here is that Cisco has been spoiled by their high end market. They have been able to get away with charging outrageous prices for largely feature stagnant products, while the consumer market demands constant improvements with little profit margin. They tried jacking up prices just for adding their name to the box, but consumers could care less about the name.
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

voiptalk to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

They should just rebrand Linksys as Cisco.

That's been going on since the day Linksys was purchased. Go to www.linksys.com and see where you are redirected to. Notice the branding image on all the current models .... it's Cisco, not Linksys. The branding change was initially driven by the fact that Linksys had little name recognition outside of the US.

The better Linksys products were absorbed into the Cisco Small Business product line and carry no Linksys branding whatsoever.

Anyway, the bottom line is margins and profit. The small profit Cisco derives from Linksys isn't even a blip on the bottom line. Linksys home products is just a distraction from the core business.

Look for the former Scientific-Atlanta cable business products to be the next business divested.
Angrychair
join:2000-09-20
Jacksonville, FL

Angrychair to Camelot One

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

consumers could care less about the name.

So consumers care more about the name?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to voiptalk

Premium Member

to voiptalk
said by voiptalk:

Look for the former Scientific-Atlanta cable business products to be the next business divested.

I would like to see Scientific Atlanta absorbed into Motorola as Scientific Atlanta boxes/equipment are junk as well. I have always liked the Motorola Set-Top boxes but in terms of modems, Arris takes the gold in terms of quality stand alone modems (not their gateways/routers).

If that happens, Motorola (or whomever buys their broadband CPE business if they sell that off as well) should develop a universal set-top that can be used on systems that were built on the Scientific Atlanta platform.

I know I sound picky but I only want the best CPE in my home. I am very choosy when I am at a Comcast office. Some reps honor my request and some outright refuse. Some customers don't care if they drop a DCT 2000 in their home and some (like me and a few other members on DSLR) want only the latest and the best. I'm picky where I buy my gadgets from as well (95 percent of the electronics in my home come from Best Buy, Apple Store, or Verizon Wireless corporate stores).

I had a rude in-house tech that refused to install an Arris TM822g even though he had one on his tuck. I have also had some nice techs (including one that had been with the local Comcast division and its predecessors for over 30 years).

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Angrychair

MVM

to Angrychair
said by Angrychair:

said by Camelot One:

consumers could care less about the name.

So consumers care more about the name?

Proof I shouldn't post before coffee.
cooperaaaron
join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL

cooperaaaron to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Motorola is trying to sell the cable box division themselves, with Pace being one of the companies that could buy the whole division....
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

1 recommendation

cramer to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Actually, it's the other way around. They need to get the Cisco logo off the cheap-as-crap Linksys products. It isn't "Cisco" and just confuses people. It weakens the Cisco brand -- and their marketing department should've known that a decade ago.

AnonFTW
@reliablehosting.com

AnonFTW to Sebehk

Anon

to Sebehk
said by Sebehk:

I second on the Apple AirPort Extreme. Don't get me wrong…I owned several Linksys routers in the past (before Cisco buyout); they were awesome routers and they were very customizable, especially with third-party firmware.
--->Robert
8-)

As have I. I still have a Linksys WRT54GS, WRT160N, WRT310N, and a WRT610N that all died within the same year. (I need to clean out that storage bin.) I kept buying more expensive models hoping reliability would improve. It didn't. I finally settled on an Apple Airport Extreme (4th Gen) and it's been rock solid for 2 years now.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

I, too, have an aged selection of Linksys gear. The only things that have actually failed have been the power bricks.

(I still have funtional WAP11's. I don't use them, of course!)
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9 to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
Agreed. I'm not sure why Cisco ventured into the low end consumer market anyway. Given Cisco's traditional margins, it was a horrible move. And, slapping the Cisco brand on a $79 piece of plastic was even worse.