share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Grimm

Re: Theoretical Question

quote:
What do they call my car an E something when its a 325i, 535i, etc..?

When you hear you car being referred to as an E classification, what they are referring to is the body style of a particular car. For instance, BMW has produced a 3 Series model from 1976 to 2003. Naturally, the body style changes over time, so to avoid confusion; they refer to the 1976-83 3 Series as an E21, the 1984-91 cars as E30, 1992-99 cars as E36, and the present models as the E46. Keep in mind that certain early cars do not have an E number. Heres a break down of the E numbers as well as the early designations
The link also has a break down of all of the model letters (is, Xi etc...) and also the engines codes.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
hmm interesting. Never knew the models related to engine size.(So Hypothetically in terms I can wrap my brain around, if my Impala where a BMW it would have been a 538i 5 series with a 3.8L fuel injected engine.)

Going to be honest I had always figured all luxury cars with numbers instead of names that the numbers where just made up by throwing a cat and mouse into a room of keyboards and seeing what came out. Never knew that the full sized BMW was a 740 because it had a 4l engine.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
A 240Z had a 2.4 l engine. A 280Z had a 2.8 l engine. (Of course we called them 24 ounce and 28 ounce.)

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Kearnstd
Generally true - very recently they have gotten away from the displacement for the model numbers on some of the cars. I believe with the turbos it they are getting away from the displacement since the turbos can be added to make a lot of power with less displacement.

I want to say that the M135i has a 3 liter engine but makes the power of a 3.5 liter engine.

My 330 i is an injected, 3 series with a 3 liter engine.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

quote:
When you hear you car being referred to as an E classification, what they are referring to is the body style of a particular car. For instance, BMW has produced a 3 Series model from 1976 to 2003. Naturally, the body style changes over time, so to avoid confusion; they refer to the 1976-83 3 Series as an E21, the 1984-91 cars as E30, 1992-99 cars as E36, and the present models as the E46.designations

How about that!

I would have simply done something stupid in designation like E Series: 1976-83, or 1984-91, or 1992-99 and so on.

What could I have been thinking?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
quote:
I would have simply done something stupid in designation like E Series: 1976-83, or 1984-91, or 1992-99 and so on.
Could be this killer cold I have but I have yet to figure this part out...
--
Brian